Saturday, March 28, 2009

2009 – Day 86.Mar. 28 – Delegate the Workload

2009 – Day 86.Mar. 28 – Delegate the Workload

Passage of the Day: Exodus 18: 1 – 27 …
Link to Exodus 18 for your study …

My Journal for Today:
Exodus teaches a powerful lesson about Godly leadership; and the main point is the willingness and vulnerability to delegate power and authority to others.

It is obvious that Moses did not have the Spirit-given gift of administration, because he was taking the burdens of all of God’s people onto his own shoulders. In today’s business world we’d call that “micro-management.” And this error in management style is an obvious sign of pride getting in the way of prudent people management. It is often the case, when power or authority rests on a leader, that such a manager will think that he/she must be in on every decision and know ALL the details which are going on in the organization. However, effective leaders, who use the “Jesus style” of management, will tell you that micro-management can kill an organization.

That’s why I believe God brought Jethro, Moses’ father-in-law, to his side. Moses admired Jethro greatly from their 40 years spent in the desert together and their family relationship. And so, when Jethro called out Moses and counseled him on his need to delegate leadership to trusted co-leaders, Moses listened. And in this story we see that a leader, like Moses, who is able and/or willing to be a “servant-leader” (what I called the “Jesus-style” of leadership), the entire organization of God’s people will benefit.

Again, I repeat from a past lesson. Jesus only used two self descriptors to describe Himself; and they are “humble” [i.e., lowly of heart] and “meek” [i.e., gentle] (see Matt. 11: 29 - link provided). Those are the two hallmark character qualities needed to be a great leader; and Jesus, The Messiah, is our consummate model. Jethro recognized that Moses needed to utilize these qualities or he (Moses) was going to burn out by listening to and judging all the peoples situations and problems. So, we see a great lesson in leadership being espoused in Exodus 18. And Moses listened; and he implemented Jethro’s counsel. And God’s people were the benefit of God’s wisdom in this case.

Satan loves to maneuver Christians into thinking that we must take on every opportunity which comes along and take it upon our own shoulders. Many gifted Christians, perhaps you’re one of them, take on many, many GOOD things … to the point that they can’t do God’s BEST things well or effectively. It’s easy to let this happen; and it’s always a sign that pride is getting in the way of doing God’s will when we are not willing or able to prioritize within God’s will.

Moses learned this lesson; and God’s kingdom was the better for it. I’m blessed to have a “Jethro” in my life with the gift of administration; but she is a woman … my wife. And when my dear wife, Elly, counsels me on how I prioritize things, I listen, … having learned over the years that I have blind spots when it comes to managing my life in the context of God’s will, … especially given my roles of family leader, Church Elder, and Ministry Director. I hope you have a “Jethro” in your life if you have roles of authority or leadership which fall on your shoulders.

If you don’t, find a “Jethro” to give you advice, I’d exhort you to find one. But, … if you do, LISTEN to that God-given counselor when it comes to helping you see and act as a leader for God’s kingdom purposes.

My Prayer for Today: Lord, thank you for giving me a “Jethro” in my wife; and keep me humble and meek to listen to her. Amen

No comments: