Saturday, March 07, 2009

2009 – Day 65.Mar. 7 – And The Answer Is …

2009 – Day 65.Mar. 7 – And The Answer Is …

Passage of the Day: Exodus 4: 1 – 10 …
Read passage from this link …

My Journal for Today: Swindoll’s right again. After one reads this scenario of Moses trying to apply his human weaknesses to the potential of trying to be God’s spokesman before Pharaoh, the excuses Moses comes up with are pictures of our own feelings as we are called by Christ by the Great Commission (Matt. 28: 19-20) or God’s charge to be His witness to the world (Acts 1: 8).

But just as in those New Testament callings, God gives us, as he did with Moses, His power to take away all of our excuses. But our first reaction, when we think of God calling us to be His spokesperson here on earth, is to balk in fear. And why is that? And Swindoll nails it again, our feeble excuses and fearful back peddling always comes from the mother of all fears, … the parent emotion of all sin, … and that is PRIDE.

We rightfully imagine that our own strength or intelligence in trying to witness for God will not be strong enough; and we simply don’t want to seem like a fool in front of our family, friends, or fellow humans. Ironically, as I indicated, the first part of our assumption is accurate. We are not smart enough or strong enough, in and of our own abilities, to be God’s witness. But where do we get the idea that saying, “I don’t know,” will be put down by others to whom we witness about God in our lives.

No, when we are confronted by someone who has to admit weakness or error, the truth is that we don’t disrespect another who says, “I don’t know.” Admit it. When we pump them with logical questions about something, and we back them into a logical corner, when they admit their weakness, we don’t disrespect them for admitting weakness, do we? No, the truth is that honestly admitting ignorance or weakness is viewed with empathy and respect when someone else is courageous enough to admit he or she can’t handle a situation. But because of pride we let our imaginations run wild when we think of trying to witness for God, thinking that others will see us as stupid or weak.

The reality, which I’ve come to discover over the years, is that when I’m witnessing for God, especially with my testimony, no one can argue with me. Oh, my antagonists may be able to pump unanswerable questions at me or challenge the logic of Scripture, if I were to quote it. However, NO ONE can argue with a personal testimony. So, when I witness as to how God has changed my life, there’s no smart comeback to challenge me; and in situations like those God’s power is in my testimony.

And the other point I’ve come to understand and trust is the truth that God will not only never leave me in the lurch when I’m witnessing for Him; but He has always goes on ahead of me to set the ground for me as I stand for Him. That’s the promise of Deut. 31: 6, 8 from the Old Covenant as well as Hebrews 13: 5 in the New Testament is that God will NEVER forsake me. Just as Moses discovered that God will allow us to be His witness with the Lord’s power speaking, we can go forth and witness to the world with the Holy Spirit preparing the way for us and being there in our testimonies.

Oh, it may not be a rod turning into a serpent or the hand in the bosom slight of hand as it was for Moses; but it will be God standing with us when we stand for Him. We simply have to set aside our human pride and fears; and trust that God will be there with us when we become witnesses for Him. As we’ll be seeing in upcoming devotionals, Moses would learn that truth; and he would come to stand with and for God against Pharaoh. But right now we need to be asking ourselves why we don’t or can’t go forth in faith to witness for our Lord; and we need to do so with the faith that God will never put us in a situation we cannot handle with Him being there with us (see 1st Cor. 10: 13). When we learn that lesson, we can be just as “dangerous” for God as Moses was about to become in Pharaoh’s court.

My Prayer for Today: Lord, I go forth to witness for You. Amen

No comments: