Thursday, March 26, 2009

2009 – Day 84.Mar. 26 – The Test of Time

2009 – Day 84.Mar. 26 – The Test of Time

Passage of the Day: Exodus 16 …
Link to Chapter 16 …

My Journal for Today:
In Exodus 16 we read of the outset of God’s TEST OF TIME for His people. And have you ever noticed how often the number 40 is used by God when testing is involved in the lives of God’s special people. Moses had to wander 40 years in the wilderness, being tested and prepared to be God’s delivery agent for His people from Egypt. Here, in this chapter, we see (if you analyze the dates in Exod. 16: 1) that the people, who had only taken three days to find water after crossing over the Red Sea, now had to wander 40 days without food before they began grumbling to Moses about their bellies being empty. Later in the chapter we read that their journey to Canaan would take 40 years so that God could purge His people of the grumblers and complainer in this generation. And the number 40 is also highlighted when Jesus (see Matt. 4 or Luke 4) fasted for forty days/nights before He encountered Satan in the wilderness.

Yes, God’s number 40 and being “in the wilderness” are often biblical pictures of God’s preparation and purging of our souls for His glory. So, when I read Gods’ word touting the number 40 and/or His “wilderness” experiences, I pay attention; because I know God is teaching me something about my character, my needs, and His provision.

I don’t know about you who might be reading here; but I’m no different than God’s lazy people there in the wilderness with Moses. My soul begins to “grumble” when I’m deprived of food or any of the comforts of life. Actually gluttony is one of my besetting sin patterns; and God had to give me diabetes before I became serious about being thankful for what God gives me that I can eat to leave. I can see why the fasting of food became a discipline of the faith, to show God when we, His children, are serious about looking to our Lord, and only Him, for the provisions of life, whatever our needs may be. Yes, I’m one of those grumblers, who find it hard to remember, trusting God completely, that He will supply all of our needs at all times in our lives [see Phil. 4: 19].

And interestingly enough, it took exactly 40 years in my life, coming to Christ in 1983, 40 years after my birth in 1943, for me to wander in life’s wilderness of sinfulness before I became broken and surrendered to Christ as my Savior and Lord. Now, I hope I’ve gotten God’s message; and I’ll never have to wait even 40 minutes to acknowledge God’s provision is enough for any or all of my needs. My Lord is Jehovah Jireh, my everlasting provider [go to this link for a beautiful look at our Jehovah Jireh]; and He will always provide all I need at all times and in all circumstances. All I have to do is look to Him to be my provider first and always (see Matt. 6: 33).

Oh, don’t you wish that Moses’ followers had gotten that message. God even provided them with manna; and yet they wanted more and better provisions. I look at all we have in our world now, even as we are in an economic “down-turn;” and people are grumbling big time these days. And yet even the homeless can find food and water and even shelter in our welfare culture. Is God going to have to put us through 40 years of economic privation to get us to trust Him as our Provider. I sure hope not! But if that’s what it takes, as it did for the followers of Moses, then, “Lord, bring it on!”

My Prayer for Today: My Lord, I trust You for all our needs. Amen

No comments: