Monday, March 23, 2009

2009 – Day 81.Mar. 23 – Highway to the Promised Land

2009 – Day 81.Mar. 23 – Highway to the Promised Land

Passage of the Day: Exodus 14: 15 – 22 …
Link to today’s passage …

My Journal for Today:
As I read today’s passage where God begins to unfold His plan of deliverance for Moses and His people trapped against the sea with Pharaoh’s forces bearing down, I can’t help separate my mind from the old, famous Cecil B. DeMille movie with Charlton Heston standing against the sea, holding his staff up for the waters to part. Actually, as we read in Exodus, God took His sweet time pulling off this incredible show of power, which wasn’t so sweet for the people. I’m sure there was a whole lot of nail biting going on as the people thought they were about to be slaughtered by the Egyptians. Those children were up against it; and they didn’t know that they were about to see God open up the road to the Promised Land right through the middle of the Red Sea.

As Swindoll points out, even Hollywood can’t upstage God. When God does a deliverance, He does it so that only He can get the credits. And that’s what we see here; and perhaps you can identify with those poor Hebrews who were up against it. Swindoll gives us a couple of examples in his devotional for today. Perhaps you’re a single mom who’s been abandoned; and you don’t know how you’re going to feed the kids. Perhaps you’re a young father who’s trying so hard to make a living that you can’t make a life. Perhaps … well, you know what you’re story is like, being so up against life that you just can’t see how things could be any worse.

Well, you’re right in the place where God can do a parting of the seas for you. But maybe you’ve been there and you’ve seen God come through with His deliverance miracle. I certainly was there … back in 1983, totally broken and needing a deliverance miracle. And I didn’t even believe in God until He showed up and did some stuff I simply could not deny was a “God thing!” I won’t retell the story here; but on April 13, 1983 God parted my Red Sea; and I simply had to walk through and follow Him to the Promised Land. And like it was for the Hebrew nation, the road to God’s promises has not be easy; but He’s been there all along the way, making the way for me, leading me with His version of the cloud/fire signs … for me.

Dear one, I hope you’ve got a Red Sea story; or maybe you’re in a place where you need one. Perhaps you’ve got some sin stronghold which you know must be set aside; but it’s going to take a deliverance miracle to bring it about. Well, if God can part the Red Sea for the Jews, He can lead you to the Promised Land of freedom from sin. He made the way on that Cross for you; and the Deliverer awaits your surrender to show you the way to the land of freedom.

My Prayer for Today: Lord, I pray for any who need to follow You out of the wilderness of death to the calm waters of life where You reside. Amen

No comments: