Saturday, April 28, 2012

April 24, 2012 … Moving On WITH God

Passage of the Day: Reference of Today’s Chronological Bible Study: 1st Chronicles, Chapters 7-10 … To study these chapters, go to this link -
 ============

Highlight Passage in NIV: … 1st Chronicles 10: 13-14 ... 13 Saul died because he was unfaithful to the Lord; he did not keep the word of the Lord and even consulted a medium for guidance, 14 and did not inquire of the Lord. So the Lord put him to death and turned the kingdom over to David son of Jesse.
============
Highlight Passage in NKJV: … 1st Chronicles 10: 13-14  ... 13 So Saul died for his unfaithfulness which he had committed against the LORD, because he did not keep the word of the LORD, and also because he consulted a medium for guidance. 14 But he did not inquire of the LORD; therefore He killed him, and turned the kingdom over to David the son of Jesse.

My Journal for Today: Today in my chronological Bible reading session I come to the end of the chronicles of God’s people from Adam all the way to the remnant of Israel who came back to Jerusalem after God’s people were exiled into Babylon. And in 1st Chronicles, Chapter 10 [hopefully you have read from the link above], we have the transition of Saul’s reign, after his suicide in defeat at the hands of the Philistines, to King David. And right at the end of 1st Chronicles 10, in verses 13-14, we have a most interesting and biblically (i.e., theologically) packed two verses. If you’re reading along with me, please take the time to read and meditate on these verses, copied above for your study in two Bible versions.

First, no matter what English translation of the ancient Hebrew, concerning these two verses, one reads [and I took in several this AM in my study – see NIV and NKJV above], it clearly indicates that Saul’s death (i.e., his suicide) was attributable to his unfaithfulness to God and even was fashioned by God for God’s purposes. This is a hard word, especially for those who’ve lost a loved one due to suicide. And I’m not going to get into a discussion about that issue directly here in my journaling today. However, it’s clear, with regard to Saul, that God was directly involved with Saul’s death after Saul had consciously and chronically rejected God’s anointing in his life.

And in terms of personal application, it raises the question, at least to me, “Am I living a Proverbs 3: 5-6 life, or one that conforms to Jesus’ command of His disciples to deny self and follow Him and only Him (see Luke 9: 23)?” Because, if I am not so living, I’m no better than Saul, who was a believer in the God of Abraham, the same God Whom I worship. I’d like to think – and I pray so – that I’m more like David, even with his sinful failures, as a “man after God’s heart,” rather than being a Saul, who could not – or rather WOULD NOT – surrender his will to God’s.

So, as we move in transition in 1st Chronicles in my daily chronological Bible reading, I will pray here that I am given God’s mercy, grace, and favor, as was David, to grow into a man after God’s own heart, … rather than becoming a Saul, who could not set aside his pride and simply and humbly follow his Lord.

My Prayer Today: … Lord, … You are my LORD! And I pray this day to become the man You would have me be; … more like You today than yesterday; and more like You tomorrow than today. Amen

No comments: