Saturday, April 07, 2012

April 7, 2012 … A Godly Vessel Grows

A Humble Blogger’s Note: I hope you take in what I believe God’s Spirit gave for me to write in this journal entry. Why do I feel so compelled to ask this of any who might read this? Because I’m clearly not intelligent enough to write what came from my dig into God’s mine of wisdom this morning. What you read below was written without any editing on my part; and I’m simply not smart enough to write such thoughts. Hence, my charge to dig into these first three chapters of 1st Samuel and to read what God gave me to blog today. Thank you. <’wrb><

================

Passage of the Day
: Reference of Today’s Chronological Bible Study: 1st Samuel 1-3 …
To study these chapters, go to this link -

============
Highlight Reference Passage : 1st Samuel 3: 19-21 … 19 The LORD was with Samuel as he grew up, and he let none of Samuel’s words fall to the ground. 20 And all Israel from Dan to Beersheba recognized that Samuel was attested as a prophet of the LORD. 21 The LORD continued to appear at Shiloh, and there he revealed himself to Samuel through his word.

My Journal for Today: Well, we were quickly through the book of Ruth yesterday; and now, on to 1st Samuel, Chapters 1-3, where we’re introduced to an important character as the history of Israel transitions from the time of the Judges into the era of the Kings. And the character, Samuel, became God’s vessel of light during this transition.

There are many interesting and instructive things about which I could journal from these first three chapters in 1st Samuel. I hope you’ve read the entire reading segment. Not too many key characters in Scripture have the early part of their lives described; but Samuel is one; and we read of how his mother, Hannah, like some other key women in the Bible, was barren and prayed to God a vow to have her son, if God would so allow her to give birth to a son, to become a Nazarite, giving him entirely over to God; and that’s exactly what happened. From Hannah we learn that being true to our word to God will be honored by God.

There is the story of Eli, the Levite Priest, who was a much better mentor than he was a father; and he even abrogated his role as a parent, which allowed for the raising of two sons whom God had to discipline because Eli would not. Here we learn that parenting is a vastly important mission in God’s kingdom which should never be overlooked, … even by those who are in the role of “priesthood,” (which, by the way, are all Christian fathers in these New Covenant days).

And we are introduced to Samuel in his early years, who was raised under the mentorship of Eli to be a priest in the Tabernacle; and later we’ll see that he rose to be a Judge and Prophet for God’s people, a giant who would anoint the first Kings in Israel; and would carry the voice of God to His people. Here we learn how important it is to find and carry out the role which God has purposed for each of us.

As we read through the stories and are introduced to characters like Samuel, I am relearning that God has chronicled these stories – about these people – for a reason … His reason. And our Lord wants us to pay attention to their lives so that their stories, and the stories about His chosen people, can help shape our lives.

For example, I see, from my studies in recent days, just how important it is to be obedient to God’s lead through spoken (now written) word. I see from the life of Hannah, how God wants us to trust Him and His promises; and when we do, good things – Godly things – will happen. I see, from the life of Eli (and later Samuel himself), how important the ministry of parenthood is for God’s kingdom. And I see, in Samuel, just how our success for God’s purposes comes through a deep and abiding relationship with God, which must be fostered, if we’re to be used by God for His glory.

If you’re following along with me in this trek through the Bible chronologically this year, I hope you’re gleaning these lessons from God as well. Yesterday, we saw how Ruth faithfully followed God into His fields where she gleaned what was left in the field by God’s leavings; and her faithful gleanings led to her marriage to Boaz and her conversion to the one, true God from her pagan background. And today, as I scrounge through what God has left for me to glean from His bountiful field of truth, even the gleanings are gratefully gathered and I can amply feed upon God’s food for my life.

My Prayer Today: … Lord, thank you for leaving so much for me to feed upon in the harvest field of Your word. Amen

No comments: