Sunday, April 15, 2012

April 14, 2012 … Go to God in Trouble

Blogger’s Note: Posted a day late today because of wifi connection problems while traveling. Will likely be late again tomorrow for the same reason; but here is my offering from yesterday from the Little Red River in Arkansas.

Passage of the Day: Reference of Today’s Chronological Bible Study: Psalm 7 … To study these chapters, go to this link -
============
Passage of the Day: Reference of Today’s Chronological Bible Study: Psalm 27 … To study these chapters, go to this link -
============
Passage of the Day: Reference of Today’s Chronological Bible Study: Psalm 31 … To study these chapters, go to this link -
============
Passage of the Day: Reference of Today’s Chronological Bible Study: Psalm 34 … To study these chapters, go to this link -
============
Passage of the Day: Reference of Today’s Chronological Bible Study: Psalm 52 … To study these chapters, go to this link -
==========

My Journal for Today: This morning I’m sitting on a dock at a fishing resort on the Little Red River in Arkansas, out for the weekend with a bunch of Christian men, some of whom have brought their sons to get away, fish for rainbow or brown trout (or maybe some catfish or bass) out on the river today, getting away from some of the troubles and concerns of the world; and just being out with God in His creation. Sometimes we just feel we need to get away from all those pressures out there in the world or in our own hearts which tear away at our souls, don’t we?

If you read through the Psalms which our chronological read has me meditating on today, if one studies the context of why David wrote all these poetic songs, you realize that the young king-to-be was deeply embroiled in escaping the existing King, … Saul, and David was trying to do all he could to buck up under the pressures of Saul trying to kill him and use His kingly influence to discredit David; but the only place David could really go for refuge was to and with His Lord, Yahweh; … and as one reads these Psalms, we see that’s exactly where any/all of us should go when we’re down-trodden or discouraged or in despair.

Of all these five psalms, I was asked to read today, you’ll note that I emboldened the link to Psalm 34, which I’d ask any who’re reading/meditating along with me here to take some time upon which to meditate more deeply; and here is what my Parsons DVD commentary says about Psalm 34, which I think very nicely summarizes what insights David had gleaned form God and was sharing in this wonderfully encouraging Psalm.

Parsons Commentary on Psalm 34: God promises great blessings to his people, but many of these blessings require our active participation. He will set us free from our fears (34:4, 6), guard and rescue us (34:7), show us goodness (34:8), supply our needs (34:9), listen when we call to him (34:15), and redeem us (34:22), but we must do our part. We can appropriate his blessings when we seek him (34:4, 10); cry out to him (34:6, 17); trust him (34:8); fear him (34:7); reverence him (34:9); refrain from lying (34:13); turn from evil, do good and seek peace (34:14); are brokenhearted (34:18); and serve him (34:22).

You will, as did I, have to go back and see the reference points made on this commentary; but when you do, you’ll discover the application points for any of us who’ve every sought after God’s enlightenment, enablement, and/or empowerment when we felt down-and-out or broken down by life’s pressures, stresses, or circumstances. Can I get an “Amen!” of identification?

Some of us are deeply embroiled in temptations, troubles, or trials; and we just don’t know where to turn. Some are burdened by past emotional wounds and have let our feelings bind us up in self-directed, comfort-zone pursuits, trying to find ways to cope with our fears, feelings, and fragile emotions. Can I maybe now get an “Amen!” of identification?

My friend, and dear Christian brother or sister, as God directs us through David and his historical trials, written into these psalms, our Lord is ALWAYS where to go to seek protection and empowerment. Right now I’m thinking of another passage which another Prophet, Isaiah, wrote, directly quoting God, to help Israel [or any believer] to be lifted from any fears they (or we) might have. It is Isaiah 41: 10, which says in the NLT, Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. I will help you. I will uphold you with my victorious right hand.

And when I’m down an out, that’s one verse, along with a few others, which I draw up from my cache of memory verses to do exactly what David was pursuing when he wrote the five Psalms to which I’ve linked any reader here today. Other New Testament verses which help me in tough times are Phil. 4: 13, the verse which brought me to God and shows me where I get my strength; in 1st Cor. 10: 13, God is telling me that He’ll never put me into any situation which I cannot handle with His help; in 2nd Cor. 12: 9, God encourages me, telling me that it will be HIS strength to lift me up when I am weak; and in all of Romans 8, but especially verse 31, God shows me that nothing in this word can overtake me as long as I rely on my God, in Christ, to be with me.

My friend, you’re probably dealing with something this very day which may seem overwhelming. Well, go through the five songs from David above and be lifted up, redirected, and empowered to deal with life’s challenges and seemingly overwhelming pressures. God is with us, my dear one, and He will lift us up.

My Prayer Today: … Lord, you are my protector, my guide, my EVERYTHING!!! Amen

No comments: