Sunday, May 11, 2014

May 11, 2014 … Crossing the Finish Line

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2014 - Day 131

Devotional Song: Go to this link …  Please go this video link to hear Sara Groves singing her poignant song Keep Your Eyes On The Prize, reminding all believers that life is a marathon and we must keep our eyes on finish line and not as much on the agony of running the race.
=============


Highlight Passage – NKJV: 2nd Timothy 4: 6-8 [NKJV] …  
6 For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.
============
Highlight Passage [Context] #1 – NKJV: 2nd Timothy 4: 1-9 [NKJV] … Go to this link
=============

Reference Passages #1: Matthew 25: 21 [NKJV]  
” 21 His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’ … :

Reference Passages #2: 1st Corinthians 9: 25 [NKJV]  
25 And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown.

My Journal for Today: Today is Mother’s Day and in the Our Daily Bread for this date, there is a touching story of a mother who passed away finishing her life strongly in the faith; and to honor her passing, her son trained for and ran a marathon. And as he finished the race, much like the winner of the Boston Marathon pictured in the attached photo, the young man, honoring his mom, pointed to heaven, knowing that his mother had finished her life as a marathon, winning the prize God had for her in heaven.

It is said that life is more like running a marathon than a sprint; and as we live our lives, as Paul wrote to Timothy just before he was executed in a Roman prison [see 2nd Tim. 4: 1-8 linked above], we need to treat life much as the runner who runs a marathon, and as Sara Groves sings in the linked song today, we should keep our eyes on the prize which God will have for us when we cross the finishing line of life. And when we do cross that finishing line of life, we definitely want Christ to place the crown of victory on our heads as He said in the parable of the talents, declaring, “Well done, … good and faithful servant.”  

That’s why I ask myself today if I’m running my marathon with my eyes on the prize which the Lord has waiting for me one day as I cross the finish line, … which, who knows (?), could be today.

My Prayer for Today … Lord, help me keep my eyes on Your prize as I run the race for You. … Amen

Blogger Note: Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread [TGIF], distributed online via email by RBC Ministries. If you GO TO THIS LINK  on the date of my blog, you’ll find a link to read the Our Daily Bread blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: