Thursday, June 19, 2014

June 19, 2014 … Our Shepherd

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2014 - Day 170

Devotional Song: Go to this link  … Please go to this vimeo video link to hear Marty Goetz singing a modern day version of Psalm 23, where God, through David, wrote of the Good Shepherd, … Our Good Shepherd.
=============


Highlight Passage – NKJV: Ezekiel 34: 11 [NKJV] …  
I, Myself, will search for My sheep and seek them out.

Highlight Passage [Context] – NKJV: Ezekiel 34: 11-16 [NKJV] … Go to this link
=============
Highlight Passage [Context] #2 – NKJV: Ezekiel, Chapter 34[NKJV] … Go to this link
=============

Reference Passages #1 Psalm 23 … Go to this link …   Our Lord is our Good Shepherd !!

Reference Passages #2 Isaiah 53: 6 … 
6 All we like sheep have gone astray. We have turned, every one, to his own way; And the LORD has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.

Reference Passages #3 John 10: 7-21 ... Go to this link
Jesus is our Good Shepherd; … He called us and we come!

Reference Passages #2 2nd Timothy 3: 16-17 …   
16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

My Journal for Today: When I was under the mentoring of a Godly leader in our church years ago, He one day asked me, “Bill, do you believe in what it says in 2nd Timothy 3: 16-17?” Well, not knowing that scripture said, I responded by saying, “Sorry, I don’t know what it says; … let me look it up?” And he immediately pointed out that he didn’t ask me to tell him what it said; … he had only asked me if I believed in what it said. And in that little interlude, my mentor also taught me that I also needed to know what it said as well; because that one verse says volumes about why we can say – without doubt – that ALL of what God says in His word is truth and we can believe in ALL of it for our good.

So, by now, I hope we all know what that passages says; but even if we don’t was can say that what it says is truth!

And in that regard, today’s Our Daly Bread devotional has a marvelous lesson we all need to hold onto for living our lives with Jesus as our “Good Shepherd.” Long ago, from the same mentor, I also learned that when God uses a word picture over and over again, especially when the picture can be found in both the Old and New Testaments, we need to pay attention to it, because in such repetitive imagery God is trying to paint a picture to which we need to model and follow in our lives.

And as you can see in all of the imagery of my journal entry today, God showed us over and over again, from His Old Testaments Prophets (see the writings of Ezekiel and Isaiah and David above) and from the words of Jesus, Himself (see the John 10 passage above), that God was going to send a Good Shepherd to lead his people from the valley of the shadow of death into His good pastures (hear the song linked with Marty Goetz singing Psalm 23, also linked for meditation above).

But this begs the question … Is Jesus my Good Shepherd? … Because if He is, I will follow Him today; and allow Him to lead me, quite possibly from a shadowy place, into His good place. How about it, fellow Christian; … are we going to follow our Good Shepherd today?

My Prayer for Today … Lord, lead me; … You are my Shepherd; and I will follow You. … Amen

Blogger Note: Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread [TGIF], distributed online via email by RBC Ministries. If you GO TO THIS LINK  on the date of my blog, you’ll find a link to read the Our Daily Bread blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: