Tuesday, May 10, 2016

May 10, 2016: Taking Up God’s Sword in Battle

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2016 - Day 131  

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK … Please take the time to take in a You Tube video of The Maranatha Singeres singing Thy Word, expressing the power of God’s word in our lives to guide us and protect us in battle.


Highlight Passage:  Nehemiah 4:18 [NKJV] …  
18 Every one of the builders had his sword girded at his side as he built ...  
… Prepared to fight against their enemies, even while they worked on to rebuild the walls. 
===========
Highlight Context – Nehemiah 4: 7-18 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK 
… Nehemiah, leading God’s people to rebuild the walls in Jerusalem, armed the workers with swords realizing that they were about to face their enemies in battle.
============      

Reference Passage #1 - Psalm 119: 9-11, 105 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK 
… God’s word lights our path and helps to protect us against sin in our daily spiritual battles.

Reference Passage #2 - Luke 4:1-13 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK 
… Jesus modeled the primary weapon in spiritual warfare is God’s word.

Reference Passage #3 - Ephesians 6:10-18 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK 
 … Paul strongly exhorting fellow Christians to put on the full armor of God, … noting in verse 17 that we’re to become swordsmen in battle

Reference Passage #4 - Hebrews 4:12 [NKJV] …  
12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 
… The Author of the book of Hebrews exhorting fellow Christians to use God’s word in their discipleship.

My Journal for Today:  My Our Daily Bread author, Jennifer Benson Schuldt, used the biblical story of Nehemiah arming the workers rebuilding the Temple walls in Jerusalem with swords to be prepared to fight in battle if needed. She wrote: Under Nehemiah’s supervision, the Israelite workers were rebuilding the wall around Jerusalem. When they were nearly half finished, however, they learned that their enemies were plotting to attack Jerusalem. This news demoralized the already exhausted workers. … Nehemiah had to do something. First, he prayed and posted numerous guards in strategic places. Then, he armed his workers. “Those who carried materials did their work with one hand and held a weapon in the other, and each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked” (Neh. 4:17-18). 

Years ago, in my early discipleship as a new Christian, my mentor realized how biblically illiterate I was, making me vulnerable in daily Spiritual warfare; and he even taught me the story in Nehemiah 4 [linked above] to show me that I needed to learn the Jesus model for doing battle spiritually (see Luke 4:1-13), … where, when tempted by Satan in the wilderness, Jesus used God’s word to dispel His enemy.

So, my mentor set about having me memorize God’s word extensively and to develop the daily discipline of getting into God’s word and getting God’s word into my heart. That’s why you find me here - EVERY DAY - using the ODB devotional and God’s word to prepare me for the battle ahead each day. ... Can I get a witness that we Christians are in a battle every day?!!

Well, I’ve learned the truth and power of those Scriptures above, like Psalm 119, Ephesians 6, and Hebrews 4. And oh, how I pray that any who read here with me know them as well, … and have become skilled swordsmen for Christ. So, today let’s take up the Sword of the Spirit and do battle in our Lord’s Name and for His glory.

My Prayer Today:  O, Heavenly Father, … My Lord, … We fight onward in Your Name today!! Help us to take up Your Sword and be victorious!! Amen  

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: