Wednesday, May 18, 2016

May 18, 2016: The Bread of Life

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2016 - Day 139  

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a You Tube video of John Michael Talbot singing I Am The Bread of Life, poignantly declaring the reality of following Christ and partaking of Him as the bread of life.

 
Highlight Passage:  Luke 11:3 [NKJV] …  
3 And give us day by day our daily bread, … 
… Every day … our daily bread is God’s living word …
===========
Highlight Context – Luke 10:38-11:4 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK 
… Jesus teaches on how to pray in surrender to the Father.
============      

Reference Passage #1 - Matthew 6:11 [NKJV] …  
11 … Give us today our daily bread.” 
… Jesus' prayer for daily sustenance from His Father.

Reference Passage #2 - John 6:32-37 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK ...   
… Jesus teaching on Him being the “bread of life” to those who believe in Him [especially note John 6:35, where Jesus declares … “I am the bread of life.”]

My Journal for Today:  … Our Daily Bread author, Lawrence Darmani, tells a personal story to illustrate his teaching today. . He wrote: I learned to recite the Lord's Prayer as a boy in primary school. Every time I said the line, "Give us today our daily bread" (Matt. 6:11), I couldn't help but think about the bread that we got only occasionally at home. Only when my father returned from his trip into town did we have a loaf of bread. So asking God to give us our daily bread was a relevant prayer to me. 
How curious I was when years later I discovered the booklet Our Daily Bread. I knew the title came from the Lord’s Prayer, but I also knew it couldn’t be talking about the loaf of bread from the baker’s shop. I discovered as I read the booklet regularly that this "bread," full of Scripture portions and helpful notes, was spiritual food for the soul. 

Like the ODB author today, I’m also a bread lover. To me it’s a little glimpse of glory to have a soft yeast bun, warmed a bit with melted butter and a little bit of honey dripping over the bread. It’s easy for me to see that being to what Jesus was referring when He taught His disciples to pray (in Matt. 6:11 and Luke 11:3). However, I know, as He also taught in John 6:35 [see above] that Jesus, Himself, is “the bread of life.”

And today, as you take in the song linked above and the Scriptures, I pray that we all realize that when we partake of God’s truth from His word - EVERY DAY - we are taking in the “bread of life.” And that, …dear one, … is why you find me coming here daily, imagining that I’m able to take in a succulent yeast roll with melted honey-butter as I take in God’s truth with my Our Daily Bread devotions.

So, if you’ve joined me here today, I pray that you can take in a taste of God’s glory through His word today. And come back for some more bread tomorrow; … I’ll be here.

My Prayer Today:  O, Heavenly Father, … Your truth is sweet, Lord; and I can taste Your love in its sweetness. Amen  

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: