Friday, June 10, 2016

June 10, 2016: My New Name

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2016 - Day 162  

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a You Tube video of the Maranatha Singers singing, … There’s Something About That Name, expressing the glory of the Name of our Lord … Jesus! … At the Name of Jesus, wonders never cease, as expressed by the Gospel of Christ and the reality of just WHOM the Name of “Jesus” signifies.

 
Highlight Passage:  Revelation 2:17 [NKJV] …  
17 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat. And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it.”’ 
 … Jesus provides the true believer with a new name in Heaven.
===========
Highlight Context – Revelation 2:12-17 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK   … Jesus’ letter to the church in Pergamum, He promises to give them a new name to signify their Christlikeness in glory. 
============      

Reference Passage #1 … Luke 9:23 [NKJV] …  
6 If anyone would come after Me, let him deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow Me. 
… Yeah, … that’s me!

Reference Passage #2 … Romans 10:8-13 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK 
… And from that truth, I qualify for glory.

Reference Passage #3 … Philippians 2:9-11 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK 
 … His Name is “Lord” … the Name above all other names … and the Name before Whom all will bend the knee in adoration or terror in Heaven.

My Journal for Today:  … Our Daily Bread author, Amy Pye, related a story to illustrate her teaching about transformation in Christ. The author wrote: She called herself a worrier, but when her child was hurt in an accident, she learned how to escape that restricting label. As her child was recovering, she met each week with friends to talk and pray, asking God for help and healing. Through the months as she turned her fears and concerns into prayer, she realized that she was changing from being a worrier to a prayer warrior. She sensed that the Lord was giving her a new name. Her identity in Christ was deepening through the struggle of unwanted heartache. 

The Apostle John, writing for Jesus, inspired by God’s Spirit, wrote to the Churches in Asia-Minor in the first few books of the Revelation; and in Revelation 2:17, Christ declares that He will give a new identity name to all true believers in glory. … In the first century, the era in which John was writing The Revelation and in which Jesus walked the earth and His Apostle spread the Good News of the Gospel, names really meant a lot. And when Jesus declares to His Bride that He will give her (that’s you and me as Christians) a new name in Glory, our Lord is saying that He’s going to label us with the individual identity we have taken on through our faith in His finished work on the cross and whom we’ve become, having been sanctified by His Spirit.

 I think of how my identity - my very self - has changed since I came to receive Christ as my Lord; and I think of my given earthly name, “William.” … Before Christ, I was a victim of my selfishness, a captive to my own sin nature. And now, in Christ, I’ve become a “victor,” … a soldier for Christ. So, since the name “William” actually means “helmeted warrior” from its origin, perhaps Jesus will call me “William, the Conquerer,” when I get to glory.

What do you think your Heavenly name will be?

My Prayer Today:  O, Heavenly Father, … Lord, no matter what You will call me in Heaven, I will gladly assume that name because YOU will give it to me.    Amen    

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: