Tuesday, June 14, 2016

June 14, 2016: Stop and Smell the Roses

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2016 - Day 166  

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a You Tube video of Gordon Mote singing, … Don’t Let Me Miss the Glory, expressing the need of all Christians take the time to observe God’s glory which shows up all around us.

 
Highlight Passage:  Genesis 17:1-2 [NKJV] …   1
 … “I am Almighty God; walk before Me and be blameless. 2 And I will make My covenant between Me and you, and will multiply you exceedingly.” 
… God’s glory being promised to Abram at such an old age.
===========
Highlight Context – Genesis 12:1-4, 17:1-2 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK 
… God’s remarkable covenant with Abram.
============      

Reference Passage #1 … Proverbs 3:5-6 [NKJV] …  
5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. 6 In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths. 
… Solomon’s advice about using our words.

Reference Passage #2 … Romans 8:28 [NKJV] …  
28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. 
… Yes, … even the little, seemingly insignificant things are for our good and evidence of God’s glory.

Reference Passage #3 … 1st Corinthians 10:13 [NKJV] …  
13 No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it. 
… Yes, even the tough times are evidence of God’s glory.

My Journal for Today:  … Our Daily Bread author, Joe Stowell,reminded his readers [me] today of a truth we should not forget. And it helped me remember and focus on a true, old saying, “Stop and smell the roses.”

And in the attached photo you will see something my wife and I see each year … the beauty of a rose bush sprouting God’s glory in the blossoms of faux roses just outside our window. And sometimes when we read God’s glorious promises and interaction with those in the Bible like Abram, as with that of the highlight passages above, we can tend to think, “God, … why don’t you show up in my life with such wonders?”

But He does; … and as Gordon Mote sings in the linked song above, we should be praying to our God, “Lord, don’t let me miss the glory?” And I contend that every day, in so many ways, like stopping to take in the beauty of some roses, or seeing the love of a grandkid in his/her eyes, or … _____________ … well you fill in the blank.

 Let’s take time today to keep our senses open to take in some little glimpses of God’s glory and His promise of so much more to come in heaven.

My Prayer Today:  O, Heavenly Father, … show me Your glory today, Lord, maybe in the beauty of a rose or whatever You decide to share with me; and help me to recognize Your presence there.    Amen    

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: