Saturday, June 11, 2016

June 11, 2016: Our Safety Net

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2016 - Day 163  

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a You Tube video of Dennis Jernigan and Annie Herring singing Dennis’ song, … Faithful and True, expressing the truth that our God is always there to catch us when we fall.


Highlight Passage:  Matthew 5:48 [NKJV] …  
48 Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect. 
 … No way, Lord, … without You to catch us when we fall.
===========
Highlight Context – Matthew 5:43-48 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK 
… Jesus’ sermon on the mount showed us that no one can live up to the revealed Lord. Hence we’ll always need HIM as our safety net.
============      

Reference Passage #1 … Psalm 91:2 [NKJV] …  
5 I will say of the Lord, “You are my place of safety and protection; … My God, in Him will I trust.”
… When we need a safety net, HE is it!!

Reference Passage #2 … Romans 3:23, 10:8-13 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK 
… EVERYONE needs a Savior.

Reference Passage #3 … Hebrews 13:5 [NKJV] …  
5 I will never leave you, nor forsake you. 
… He’s always our safety net.

My Journal for Today:  … Our Daily Bread author, Phillip Yancey, teaching on the meaning of Jesus’ Sermon on the Mounty, wrote: For years I thought of the Sermon on the Mount (Matt. 5–7) as a blueprint for human behavior, a standard no one could possibly meet. How could I have missed the true meaning? Jesus spoke these words not to frustrate us, but to tell us what God is like . … Jesus gave the Sermon on the Mount (Matt. 5–7) not only to explain God’s ideal toward which we should never stop striving but also to show that in this life none of us will ever reach that ideal. 

To me, Jesus’ sermon was the New Covenant version of God giving the 10 Commandments to His people. On that mountain side, Jesus taught the people (that’s you and me too!) about God and His kingdom, revealing just how much we all fall short (see Romans 3:23); and revealing just how much we all need God’s safety net of a Savior to catch us in our fall.

 I pray that all reading with me here today have fulfilled the truth of Romans 10:8-13, realizing the reality of what Dennis Jernigan wrote in his song (linked above) … that God is forever “Faithful and True” to be there and catch all who fall into His saving net of grace by repenting and receiving that grace. Have you been caught in the net of salvation by our Savior?

 Please take in the song and Scriptures above and then revel with me in the glory of Jesus being our safety net.

My Prayer Today:  O, Heavenly Father, … Lord, you caught me in my free fall of sin; and today I rest safely in You.    Amen    

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: