Wednesday, January 18, 2017

January 18, 2017 ... Legacy Shadows …

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 18 

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of images from three friends, Clay Crosse, Bebe Winans, and Bob Carlisle singing … I Will Follow Christ … powerfully singing of the legacy and long shadow of Christ which we follow to cast a legacy shadow of Christlikeness to the world as we live our lives for Him.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Psalm 100:5 [NKJV] … 
5 For the Lord is good; … His mercy is everlasting, and His truth endures to all generations. 
… And what can we do in our lives to reflect the long shadows of goodness cast by our Lord. 
=============
Highlight Passage [context]: Psalm 100 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK
… The Psalmist writes of our serving our God to show that His mercy is everlasting. 
=============

Reference Passage #1 [NKJV] : … 2nd Chronicles 16:36 [NKJV] … 
36 Blessed be the Lord God of Israel from everlasting to everlasting. 
… King David sings, quoting Psalm 106 that God’s shadow mercy/love is cast through all generations.

Reference Passage #2 [NKJV] : … Psalm 96-99 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK
… Songs from the Jewish traditions which resonate praise for God thru the ages.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Joe Stowell, used a personal story to illustrate how we, as Christians, can cast a long shadow of Christlikeness for the world to see our Lord in us. The OBD author wrote: Several years ago, my wife and I stayed in a rustic bed-and-breakfast in the remote Yorkshire Dales of England. We were there with four other couples, all British, whom we had never met before. Sitting in the living room with our after-dinner coffees, the conversation turned to occupations with the question “What do you do?” At the time I was serving as the president of Moody Bible Institute in Chicago, and I assumed that no one there knew of MBI or its founder, D. L. Moody. When I mentioned the name of the school, their response was immediate and surprising. “Of Moody and Sankey . . . that Moody?” Another guest added, “We have a Sankey hymnal and our family often gathers around the piano to sing from it.” I was amazed! The evangelist Dwight Moody and his musician Ira Sankey had held meetings in the British Isles more than 120 years ago, and their influence was still being felt. 

And reading how Christians dedicated to following Christ can have Godly influence through generations to come, I had to ask myself … “What am I doing in following Christ to influence others with a legacy of Christlikeness?”

And then taking in Psalms 96 - 100 (linked above), I realized that God’s people long ago sang these songs to reflect the long shadows of love/mercy cast by our Lord for us to follow, reflecting His light into a world so darkened by the long shadows of evil cast by Satan.

I’d exhort all reading here to listen to a song I often use to illustrate my journal entries (linked above); and then we all need to ask ourselves if we are casting long shadows of Christliness; because Joe Stowell summarized his ODB entry today with this quote: "Only what’s done for Christ will last."

My Prayer Today: Heavenly Father, … Lord, … Shine Your light brightly on my path; so that when I follow You I will cast Your shadow on those who follow me. ... Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: