Thursday, January 05, 2017

January 5, 2017 ... Here Him Calling!

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 5 

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …   Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of images and lyrics from Daniel O’Donnell singing … Here I Am Lord … poignantly declaring our surrender to God’s call to follow Him.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Genesis 3:9 [NKJV] … 
9 Then the Lord God called to Adam and said to him, “Where are you?” 
… God often calls us out in our sin; but are we listening?
=============
Highlight Passage [context]: Genesis 3:8-17 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK
… After Adam’s sin, God called out to him in the Garden.
=============

Reference Passage #1 [NKJV] : … Luke 9:23 [NKJV] … 
23 Then He said to them all, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. 
… Jesus calls His disciples to deny ourselves and follow Him.

Reference Passage #2 [NKJV] : … John 10:27 [NKJV] … 
27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. 
… We Christians are His sheep; … do we hear Him calling to follow Him.

Reference Passage #3 [NKJV] : … Revelation 3:20 [NKJV] … 
20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. 
… Jesus is continually calling us to hear Him and let Him into our lives.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Keila Ochoa, uses a personal story to illustrate a story from Genesis, teaching on our need as Christians to listen for God and then to follow Him. The ODB author wrote: My young son loves to hear my voice, except when I call his name loudly and sternly, followed by the question, “Where are you?” When I do that, I am usually calling for him because he has been into some mischief and is trying to hide from me. I want my son to listen to my voice because I’m concerned about his well-being and do not want him to get hurt. 
Adam and Eve were used to hearing God’s voice in the garden. However, after they disobeyed Him by eating the forbidden fruit, they hid from Him when they heard Him calling, “Where are you?” (Gen. 3:9 - above). They didn’t want to face God because they knew they had done something wrong—something He had told them not to do (v. 11). 

Can I get a witness identifying with the ODB author’s story? Personally, I’ve had many times, after I became a Christian, that I’ve sensed God calling me out; and like Adam in the Garden; ...  I didn’t want to “fess” up or I hid myself in shame. Anybody reading here have that “t-shirt?” Well, isn’t it time for us to answer as Daniel O’Donnell does in today’s linked song? …

“Here I am, Lord; … I will follow!”

My Prayer Today: Heavenly Father, … Show me, Lord, Your will from Your word and from life; and I will follow YOU. ... Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: