Sunday, January 29, 2017

January 29, 2017 ... “I AM”

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 29 

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of images and lyrics from Kari Jobe singing … You Are For Me … poignantly expressing the reality of Whom we worship as our God.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: John 8:58 [NLT] … 
58 Jesus answered, “I tell you the truth, before Abraham was even born, I am!” 
… Jesus clearly declares that He is “Yahweh,” a reference the Jewish leaders understood from Exodus 3:14; and they thought this man, claiming to be the God of Abraham was committing blasphemy.
=============
Highlight Passage [context]: John 8:48-59 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… Jesus declares the reality of just WHO HE IS to the Jewish leaders; and they couldn’t handle the truth, desiring to kill the God-Man.
=============

Reference Passage #1 [NKJV] : … Matthew 16:15 [NLT] … 
15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” 
… Jesus asks the most important question anyone can ever answer in their lives, one that everyone must answer to decide their eternal destiny.

Reference Passage #2 [NKJV] : … Colossians 1:15-17 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… The Apostle declares the reality and supremacy of Christ , the one to Whom we must bear witness as our Lord and Savior.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Bill Crowder, teaches about the confrontation everyone must have with the reality of Jesus being the great “I AM.” The OBD author wrote today: Jesus, when challenged by the Jewish religious leaders about His identity, also claimed to pre-date Abraham. “Very truly I tell you,” He said, “before Abraham was born, I am!” (John 8:58). His bold assertion shocked those who were confronting Him, and they sought to stone Him. They knew He wasn’t referring to a chronological age but was actually claiming to be eternal by taking the ancient name of God, “I am” (see Ex. 3:14). But as a member of the Trinity, He could make that claim legitimately. 

But in this confrontation above, the Jewish leaders couldn’t handle Jesus’ claim that He was Yahweh, … i.e., the very same “I am” Who confronted Moses at the burning bush. They felt Jesus was committing blasphemy and wanted to kill Him, which they ultimately did when He proved WHOM He truly was (and IS) … the Son of God.

And that confrontation with the reality of Jesus being the God Paul wrote about to us in Colossians 1:15-17 is the reality everyone has to confront, answering the question Jesus asked His disciples … “Who do you say I am?” [see Matthew 16: 15] And that, my friends, the most important question anyone will ever answer and one which will decide our eternal destiny.

I hope and pray that we all have answered Jesus’ question as Paul wrote about in Romans 10:9-13 (check it out if you don’t know the passage).

So, my friend, how do you answer Jesus’ question? … Prayerfully you join me with the essence of what Kari Jobe so poignantly sings in the song linked above.

My Prayer Today: Heavenly Father, … Your Son is my Lord and my Savior; and He is the great “I AM!” … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: