Wednesday, June 21, 2017

June 21, 2017 … Broken Together

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 172 

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of images and lyrics from the group Casting Crowns singing … Broken Together … poignantly singing of the reality that we’re all broken and we just need to be BROKEN TOGETHER.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: 2nd Corinthians 1:7 [NKJV} … 
7 And our hope for you is steadfast, because we know that as you are partakers of the sufferings, so also you will partake of the consolation. 
… Suffering together gives glory to our Lord.
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: 2nd Corinthians 1:3-11 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK
… The Apostle Paul exhorts Christians to take comfort in our suffering; because when it is for God, it is for His glory.
=============

Reference Passage #1 [NKJV] : … Romans 8:37-39 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… No suffering in His Name can separate us from the love of God.

Reference Passage #2 [NKJV] : … Philippians 2:3-4 [NLT] … 
3 Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. 4 Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. 
 … Paul exhorts us all to be BROKEN TOGETHER.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Xochiti Dixon, uses the word picture of broken pottery restored to be used for God’s glory. The ODB author wrote: A friend mailed me some of her homemade pottery. Upon opening the box, I discovered the precious items had been damaged during their journey. One of the cups had shattered into a few large pieces, a jumble of shards, and clumps of clay dust. After my husband glued the broken mess back together, I displayed the beautifully blemished cup on a shelf. 
Like that pieced-together pottery, I have scars that prove I can still stand strong after the difficult times God’s brought me through. That cup of comfort reminds me that sharing how the Lord has worked in and through my life can help others during their times of suffering. 

We’re all broken pottery, aren’t we [see photo]? And this ODB entry today reminded me of a time in my marriage when my brokenness, … I.e., infidelity and sexual sin, … was revealed to my wife; and we had to learn how togetherness, involving openness, honesty, and accountability, was the only way to be as the linked song reveals … to be BROKEN TOGETHER. And this past week we, having relied on God’s love and grace, just celebrated our 52 year of marriage, experiencing God’s love and His grace to restore our brokenness - TOGETHER … with Him.

And we, as Christians, are called TOGETHER, in the bonds of covenant with our Bridegroom, Christ - our King, to share and comfort one another thru all the trials and brokenness which is our life and world; and we do so to glorify the One who is mending us - all the broken pieces - into a cup which can serve Him forever in glory.

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, … Lord, … Thank You for Your redeeming grace which mends is to work TOGETHER as Your children to serve and glorify You as our Redeemer, King Jesus. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: