Monday, June 12, 2017

June 12, 2017 … Nothing Useless

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 163 

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir singing … It’s Not in Vain … poignantly singing of the truth we all must realize when we do anything in Christ’s Name and for His glory.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: 1 Corinthians 15:58 [NKJV} … 
58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord. 
… And never forget it!!!
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: 1 Corinthians 15:42-58 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK
… The Apostle writes of the truth that anything we do in God’s name and for His glory is not in vain.
=============

Reference Passage #1 [NKJV] : … John 15:5 [NLT] … 
5 “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. …” 
… Jesus on how we Christians must remain connected to Him to live and be fruitful in His Name.

Reference Passage #2 [NKJV] : …Galatians 6:9-10 [NLT] … 
9 And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. 10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith. 
… Paul exhorts all Christians, no matter what they do for Christ, to keep on keeping on!

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Xochiti Dixon, uses a personal story to illustrate our charge as Christians to keep on keeping on in Christ. The ODB author wrote: In my third year battling discouragement and depression caused by limited mobility and chronic pain, I confided to a friend, “My body’s falling apart. I feel like I have nothing of value to offer God or anyone else.” Her hand rested on mine. “Would you say it doesn’t make a difference when I greet you with a smile or listen to you? Would you tell me it’s worthless when I pray for you or offer a kind word?” I settled into my recliner. 
“Of course not.” She frowned. “Then why are you telling yourself those lies? You do all those things for me and for others.” 
I thanked God for reminding me that nothing we do for Him is useless. 

It’s easy to let the enemy con us into thinking we’re useless, isn’t it, … especially when we feel physically or emotionally weakened. But that’s when we must draw upon the strength provided by God’s Spirit to overcome our feelings and remember the truth of today’s highlight passage. And as the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir sings in the linked song, remembering the truth from God’s word, … that NOTHING we do in God’s Name and for His glory is in vain.

So, perhaps we can pray for someone today. Perhaps we can just smile at someone who has a downcast look. Or maybe … we can encourage someone who needs a lift. But let’s just do it for God’s glory; and it will not have been done in vain.

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, … Lord, … Help me to help somebody in Your Name today … and tomorrow too. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: