Friday, December 01, 2017

December 1, 2017 … Upside Down Kingdom

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 335 

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of song/lyrics from John Waller singing… As for Me and My House … poignantly singing of how we, as disciples of Christ, must serve our Lord in His upside-down kingdom for His glory … not our own!


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Mark 9:35 [NLT] … 35 He sat down, called the twelve disciples over to Him, and said, “Whoever wants to be first must take last place and be the servant of everyone else.”
… By the world’s standards this makes little sense. By Jesus’ standards it is TRUTH! 
==============

Highlight Passage [context]: Mark 9:33-37, 10:41-45 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… Jesus teaches strongly about His “upside-down” kingdom where the first will be last, … where the slave will be king.
=============

Reference Passage [NLT] : … Luke 9:23 [NLT] … 23 Then He said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be My follower, you must give up your own way, take up your cross daily, and follow Me. 
… What Jesus demands of His disciples (that’s you and me too!).

Reference Passage [NLT] : … Philippians 2:3-8 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK ... 
… Paul teaches that, as disciples of Christ, we must have the same humble servant’s attitude as Christ and serve others before self.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, James Banks, tells a personal story to illustrate the UPSIDE-DOWN kingdom philosophy taught and demanded by Jesus of His disciples The ODB author wrote: Recently I was among the last in line to board a large passenger jet with unassigned seating. I located a middle seat beside the wing; but the only spot for my bag was the overhead compartment by the very last row. This meant I had to wait for everyone to leave before I could go back and retrieve it. 
 I laughed as I settled into my seat and a thought occurred to me that seemed to be from the Lord: “It really won’t hurt you to wait. It will actually do you good.” So I resolved to enjoy the extra time, helping other passengers lower their luggage after we landed. By the time I was able to retrieve my bag, I laughed again when someone thought I actually worked for the airline. 
And that day’s experience made me ponder Jesus’ words to His disciples: Anyone who wants to be first, must be the very last, and the servant of all.” (Mark 9:35) 

Wow! … CONVICTION!!! … All too often when we’re in church at a potluck supper, where we’re asked to get in line to be served, I find myself angling to get in line early. It’s almost like I think I’m not going to get fed when usually there’s way too much food for the group being served.

UGH! … Here I am in church; and that’s certainly not what Jesus was teaching and demanding of His disciples, is it? So, the next time I’m given the opportunity to forge ahead on my own or wait and make sure others are being served, especially those who need help, I’m praying I’ll live up to God’s upside-down kingdom way of doing things.

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, … King Jesus, … Precious Spirit … Oh, forgive my impatience and selfishness, Lord; and help me look to be a servant-leader in Your upside-down kingdom. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: