Saturday, December 23, 2017

December 23, 2017 … Immanuel

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 357 

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video and lyrics from an anonymous soloist singing the 6th century … Hymn of St. Patrick … poignantly singing of the reality that God fulfilled the prophesy by giving us Christ to live in us forever.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Matthew 1:22-23 [NLT] … 22 All of this occurred to fulfill the Lord’s message through his prophet: 23  “Look! The virgin will conceive a child! She will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel, which means ‘God is with us.’” 
… Matthew quotes the Prophet Isaiah (see Isaiah 7:14) as to the coming of the Messiah born of a virgin and to become “Immanuel” - God with us!
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Matthew 1:18-23 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… Matthew’s account of the birth of Messiah, Who would become Immanuel - “God With Us” 
=============

Reference Passage : … Matthew 28:20 [NLT] … 20 Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
… Jesus as He ascended into Heaven after the resurrection, promises to NEVER leave those who would believe on Him as Lord.

Reference Passage : … Hebrews 13:5b [NLT] … 5 … “I will never fail you. I will never abandon you.”
… God reminds his people what He promised in Deut. 31:6, that, no matter what, He would be with them and never leave them.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, David C McCasland, uses a 17th century poem to illustrate how God changes our hearts when He is born into the manger of our lost souls. The ODB author wrote: “Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ within me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ at my right, Christ at my left . . .” These hymn lyrics, written by the fifth-century Celtic Christian St. Patrick, echo in my mind when I read Matthew’s account of Jesus’s birth. They feel like a warm embrace, reminding me that I’m never alone. … 
 St. Patrick’s lyrics [use song link] remind me that Christ is with believers always through His Spirit living within. When I’m nervous or afraid, I can hold fast to His promises that He will never leave me. When I can’t fall asleep, I can ask Him to give me His peace. When I’m celebrating and filled with joy, I can thank Him for His gracious work in my life. 
Jesus, Immanuel—God with us. 

If any reader here today takes in all that I’ve journaled and posted here, taken from the Our Daily Bread entry today, I really should not have to write might more.

No, … if we believe in Christ as Lord, especially during this Advent season where we celebrate God’s incarnation, and we believe in HIs promises, … that He would would be with us by indwelling our hearts, … then we should really be praising our Lord, especially coming up on the day we wish Him “Happy Birthday!”

So, take in St. Patrick’s hymn, linked above, and meditate on the Scriptures provided; and then please join me in a robust HALLELUJAH !!! Because ”Immanuel” dwells in us and will never leave us or forsake us … NO MATTER WHAT!!! 

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, … King Jesus, … Precious Spirit … You dwell in my heart/mind, Lord; and that is why I can write this today! … So, I praise Your Holy Name!! … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: