Monday, May 14, 2018

May 14, 2018 … Reality … Really?!!

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 133 

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK … Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of images and lyrics from the group Mercy Me singing … Word of God Speak … poignantly singing of how, as disciples of Christ, we must listen for and discern truth from God’s word to be our spiritual “GPS” in life.


 =============
Highlight Verse[s]: 1st John 4:1 [NLT] … 1 Dear friends, do not believe everyone who claims to speak by the Spirit. You must test them to see if the spirit they have comes from God. For there are many false prophets in the world. 
… We are admonished by God’s word to beware of using our own perceptions of life, … our feelings or the smooth word of those who would try to deceive us.
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: 2 Kings, Chapter 19 [NLT] …USE THIS LINK
… Read how trusting in God’s word brought about a wondrous defeat of an army threatening God’s people in Jerusalem.
=============

Reference Passage : … Psalm 119:105 [NLT] … 105  Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path. 
… We all need a light to guide us in this very dark world. God’s word is mine!

Reference Passage : … Proverbs 3:5-6 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… God, thru Solomon, tells us to seek out His truth and trust His word.

Reference Passage : … Isaiah 55:11 [NLT] … 11  It is the same with my word. I send it out, and it always produces fruit. It will accomplish all I want it to, and it will prosper everywhere I send it. 
… God’s word should be our perfect “GPS” in life.

Reference Passage : … 2 Timothy 3:16-17 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… God’s perfect word, found in the Bible, is really all we need to guide us thru life.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Tim Gustafson, used a cute story about his wife being fooled to illustrate how life is not always what we perceive to be reality.. … The ODB author wrote: “Listen!” my wife said to me over the phone. “There’s a monkey in our yard!” She held up the phone so I could hear. And yes, it sounded just like a monkey. Which is weird, because the nearest wild monkey was 2,000 miles away. 
Later, my father-in-law burst our bubble. “That’s a barn owl,” he explained [see photo]. Reality was not what it had seemed. 

Cute story from ODB today about being deceived by an owl, isn’t it? But all too often we see things in the media or hear things from crafty people which can deceive us? Personally, I’m a very gullible, impressionable person; and if it were not for God’s word, which has become my personal/spiritual “GPS” in life, I would be very vulnerable to our Spiritual enemies, …Satan, … the world, and especially … my flesh.

The Bible story in 2 Kings 19, linked above, is a good one to illustrate how circumstances can seem to speak one message, but God’s word speaks a very different reality. Read about how King Hezekiah saw the Assyrian army laying siege to Jerusalem. It really looked hopeless for God’s people. But God’s word, thru Isaiah, painted a whole different, and hopeful, message; and you’ll see how trusting in God’s word paid big dividends for the remnant of believers, especially under Hezekiah’s faith in God’s word.

And that’s why we need to be in God’s word and implant His truth into our mind/hearts … so that it can serve, as the Scriptures above tell us, as our Spirit-led “GPS” in life.

Dear one, … that’s why I’m here, digging into God’s word every daily, and begging in prayer every morning for, as Mercy Me sings, … “Word of God Speak!” And I know He will! And i will listen for His promises and trust His direction. … How about you?

=============
My THANKFULNESS: … Oh Lord, Jesus, thank You for guiding my life with Your truth. 
=============

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, … King Jesus, … Precious Spirit … Lord, I’m here again this morning seeking for direction from Your word. Please shine the light of Your truth to help me follow You. .… Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If youGO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: