Saturday, May 26, 2018

May 26, 2018 … Never Alone!

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 145 

Devotional Song:GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of song and lyrics from Alan Jackson singing the old hymn … What A Friend We Have In Jesus … poignantly singing how faithful is our Friend, … King Jesus.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Psalm 142:4-5 [NLT] … 4  I look for someone to come and help me, but no one gives me a passing thought! No one will help me; no one cares a bit what happens to me. 5  Then I pray to you, O Lord. I say, “You are my place of refuge.  You are all I really want in life. 
… David found his refuge only in his relationship with the Lord.
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Psalm 142 [NLT] …USE THIS LINK
… David, being pursued by Saul, felt so alone!
=============

Reference Passage : … Hebrews 13:5b - 6 [NLT] … 5 For God has said, “I will never fail you.  I will never abandon you.” [Deut. 31:6, 8] 
6 So we can say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?” [Psalm 118:6] 
… Our God will NEVER forsake us; … but do we believe Him?

 My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Kirsten Holmberg, used a cute personal story to illustrate how easily we can get down on our selves and feel all alone. The ODB author wrote: As a child, when I felt lonely, rejected, or sorry for myself, my mother would sometimes attempt to cheer me up by singing a popular ditty: “Nobody likes me, everybody hates me. I think I’ll go eat worms.” After a smile came from my downcast face, she’d help me see the many special relationships and reasons for gratitude I truly did have. 

Wow, … when I read this ODB entry, I had nostalgic pangs, because my mom used to say exactly the same thing to me as a young boy when she perceived that I was in the dumpers. And after saying that, she’d look at me with her lower lip out and her eyes crossed; and she got me to laugh EVERY time. She was trying to show me that, no matter what, she would love me.

And that’s how young David felt about his God when he was on the run from King Saul, who was trying to kill David. And he wrote Psalm 142 in a cave, feeling very alone, but knowing that His God would be there for him … NO MATTER WHAT (see also Heb. 13:5-6 above).

We all can get down and feel lonely at times, where God seems so distant. But if we can develop a close/abiding relationship with our Savior, every day we’ll hear/feel Him knocking on the door of our hearts; and all we have to do is open the door and let Him in to be our friend (go look up Rev. 3:20). 

=============
My THANKFULNESS: … Oh Lord, Jesus, thank You for always being my loving Friend. 
=============

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, … King Jesus, … Precious Spirit … How wonderful it is to have a King for a Friend. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: