Thursday, May 24, 2018

May 24, 2018 … Sleep In Peace

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 143

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK …  .Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of imaged and lyrics from Don Moen singing the old hymn… Peace Peace Wonderful Peace … poignantly singing how we can find peace when we surrender our anxieties to The Lord.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Psalm 4:8 [NLT] …In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, O Lord, will keep me safe. 
… David finds can sleep in peace knowing that HIs God watches over him.
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Psalm 4 [NLT] …USE THIS LINK
… David, under great stress, surrenders his anxieties to God and finds peace
=============

Reference Passage : … Isaiah 41:10 [NLT] … 10  Don’t be afraid, for I am with you.  Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you.  I will hold you up with My victorious right hand. 
… We never need to let fear fear control us when our God wants to take our cares.

Reference Passage : … Philippians 4:6-7 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… It’s really a prideful sin to hold onto worries/stresses because Jesus faithfully gives us the option to bring them to Him {see also Matt. 11:28-30 linked here )

Reference Passage : … 1 Peter 5:6-7 [NLT] … 6 So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time he will lift you up in honor. 7 Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you. 
… Our only power over our stresses/worries comes when we humble ourselves and give over our worries to God.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Poh Fang Chia, used an illustration to which most of us can identify to teach on our search for restful peace as Christians in this stressful world. The ODB author wrote: What keeps you awake at night [see photo]? Lately I’ve been losing sleep, tossing and turning on my bed, trying to work out a solution to an issue. Eventually I begin fretting about not getting enough rest to handle the challenges of the next day! Sound familiar? Troubled relationships, an uncertain future, whatever it is—we all give in to worry at one point or another.  

Ever been there? I would expect most of us can empathize with this scenario. But when we have a deep/abiding/mature relationship with Christ we can have the peace which God promises in His word (see reference scriptures above).

When David wrote the song in Psalm 4, he was obviously under great duress and stress. Yet, because of His strong trust/faith in God, he was able to rest in God’s peace [see v. 8 above]. Really, it’s prideful sin to carry our anxiety to the point that it shackles us in our feelings. Why? Because God, thru Paul and Peter above promises in His word, and yes, even Jesus, Himself, to help us carry our burdens.

So, can I sense a “PTL!!!” And let’s just lay down our burdens to the Lord today and let Him help us carry them.

=============
My THANKFULNESS: … Oh Lord, Jesus, thank You for Your uplifting strength to lift me up when I’m down.
=============

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, … King Jesus, … Precious Spirit … May I find the peace which surpasses all understanding by bringing my cares to You, my caring Savior. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: