Monday, December 09, 2019

December 9, 2019 … Following His Light

Berry Patch Devotions in 2019 - Day 343 

Devotional Song: ... GO TO THIS LINK ...  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of images and lyrics from Debby Boone singing … You Light Up My Life … poignantly singing of how Christ is the One Who brings us out of our own darkness into His light.

A Light for our Darkness

=============
Highlight Verse[s]: 2 Samuel 22:29 [ESV] ...  29  For You are my lamp, O Lord, and my God lightens my darkness. 
… David had surrendered His life to follow The Lord out of the dark places of life. 
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: 2 Samuel 22:16-30 [ESV] ... USE THIS LINK ...
… King David saw God as his guiding light for life, especially in times of darkness or fear. 
==============

Reference Passage : … Psalm 119:105 [ESV] … 105  Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. 
… The psalmist, saw God’s living word as his light in life.

Reference Passage : … Proverbs 3:5-6 [ESV] … USE THIS LINK
… Solomon was committed to follow the light of His Lord, trusting that God would lead him out of darkness.

Reference Passage : … John 8:12 [ESV] … 12 Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”  
… Jesus, declares to His followers, that HE was the light which they needed to follow out of the darkness of sin and fear.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Jennifer Benson Schuldt, uses the word picture of an ancient Israeli lamp to show that Christ should be the light we follow in life. … The ODB author wrote: At a museum, I lingered near a display of ancient lamps. A sign revealed they were from Israel. Decorated with carved designs, these oval-shaped clay vessels had two openings—one for fuel, and one for a wick. Although the Israelites commonly used them in wall alcoves, each was small enough to fit in the palm of a person’s hand. [See photo] 

Simple question from the ODB entry, the linked song, and meditating on he Scriptures above:
 “Is Jesus the Light we are following in life?”

Because it’s very easy to get enveloped by the darkness of this world and the desires of our flesh, isn’t it? However, as disciples of Christ, we must learn what King David learned in life (see highlight passage); … and that is to let The Lord be his light to follow out of the darkness into THE LIGHT God provides for us.

That’s why I try to grab onto His light each morning here, by following the light of His word as promised in Psalm 119:105 and let that light be my guide, … avoiding trying to be my own light (see Prov. 3:5-6) and simply follow HIM to lead me out of the darkness of this world and my own devices into “THE LIGHT” which His word provides for my steps (see John 8:12).

How about you, my fellow Christians? ... In this ever darkening world, will we follow His light today?

=============
My THANKFULNESS: ... Oh Abba Father, ... thank You, Lord, ... for shining the light of Your truth to follow today.
=============

My Prayer Today: Oh Abba Father, ... King Jesus, ... I pray, Lord, that all reading here will join me, choosing to take up the light of God’s truth to guide us in life today … and tomorrow. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.</ span>

No comments: