Friday, April 09, 2021

April 9, 2021 … Under His Wings …

Berry Patch Devotions in 2021 - Day 99 


Devotional Song: ... GO TO THIS LINK ...   Please take the time to take in song and lyrics from the Haven of Rest Quartet singing … Hiding in Thee …  a medley along with “Rock of Ages” about resting under God’s wings of protection in perilous times. 


Hidden under God's protective wings ... 


==============

Highlight Passage:  Psalm 57:1  [ESV] ... 

Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in You my soul takes refuge; in the shadow of Your wings I will take refuge, till the storms of destruction pass by.

… David’s prayer for protection and deliverance from Saul’s pursuit.      

=============  

Highlight Passage [Context]: …  Psalm 57  [ESV] …  USE THIS LINK … 

… David’s prayer song of coming under the wings of God’s protection as King Saul was pursuing to kill David in the wilderness.      

==============         


Reference Passage: … Psalm 138:7 [ESV] … 

24 Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You preserve my life; You stretch out Your hand against the wrath of my enemies, and Your right hand delivers me. 

  Another song of David, praying for God’s protection and deliverance.    


Reference Passage: … Proverbs 18:10 [ESV] … 

10 The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous man runs into it and is safe.

  We can run to and rely on God’s strength when we feel weak.  


Reference Passage: … Isaiah 41:8-10 [ESV] …  USE THIS LINK  

  God’s promise to Israel - His chosen ones - of His protection and strength when they faced danger. 


Reference Passage: … 2Corinthians 12:9 [ESV] …

But He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

  Jesus promises Paul (and all Christians) that His empowering grace is always sufficient to protect or lift us up when we are weakened or threatened. 


Reference Passage: … 2Thessalonians 3:3 [ESV] … 

But the Lord is faithful. He will establish you and guard you against the evil one. 

  God promises His protection from evil … BUT … do we believe His word?  


My Devotional JournalToday's Our Daily Bread author, James Banks, AT THIS LINK    tells of the strong attacks George Whitfield, the great 18th century preacher, incurred by critics who felt the evangelist should not be preaching outdoors.  But Whitfield was undaunted and confident that he was protected by God in his calling to preach to the masses out in God’s creation.   


And in the highlight passage, we read of young David, during the time of King Saul’s pursuit to kill the young future King, writing songs of his reliance on God’s protection, using the image of a mother bird’s protective wings (see photo).  And  also in all the Scriptures above, we also read of God’s promise of His protective strength being there for us when we feel threatened or weakened.


Our question and challenge from the ODB entry today is DO WE BELIEVE God’s word and His promise of His wings of protection?  Because if we do - AND I DO - we will go forth in these perilous times, knowing that God’s empowering grace is alway sufficient to cover us with His wings of protection and lift us up with His strength.   


My THANKFULNESS: ... Oh Abba Father, ... thank You, King Jesus, … for being our strong tower where we can go today for Your protection.  

My Prayer Today: Oh Abba Father, ... King Jesus, ... . I pray that all reading here will join me, … to run to God’s strong tower today for His wings of protection. … Amen


=============

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: