Monday, December 28, 2015

December 28, 2015: Covered In The Storm

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2015 - Day 361  

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a video of images from Gordon Mote singing … Mercy Walked In, pleading for and receiving the mercy of God to cover the guilt of our sins.

 
Highlight Passage:   Psalm 61:3-4 [NKJV] …  
3 For You have been a shelter for me, … a strong tower from the enemy. 4 I will abide in Your tabernacle forever; … I will tuts in the shelter of your wings. 
… David trusted in the sheltering mercy of God.
============
Highlight Context – Psalm 61 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK  …  
… Written by King David when He needed God’s mercy desperately.
============      

Reference Passage #1 - Isaiah 26: 3 [NKJV] …  
3 You (Lord) will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You because he trusts in You. 
… In our mind we find refuge and protection in our trusting faith.

Reference Passage #2 - John 16:33 [NKJV] …  
33 These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world. 
… Jesus' promise of refuge.  …

My Journal for Today:  Today’s Our Daily Bread author, Jennifer Benson Schuldt, related a word picture to help her readers (me) grasp the sheltering mercy of God. She wrote, Homeless people in Vancouver, British Columbia, have a new way to find nighttime accommodations. A local charity, RainCity Housing, has created specialized benches that convert into temporary shelters. The back of the bench pulls up to create a roof that can shield a person from wind and rain. At night, these sleeping spaces are easy to find because they feature a glow-in-the-dark message that reads: “THIS IS A BEDROOM.” [see attached photo above]

As I write this, the temperature is going much lower here in Memphis, TN; and the rain/wind is coming into our area. And after reading author Schuldt’s description above, I could just imagine how some homeless people in our area would appreciate finding refuge in a bench which converts to a covered shelter. And there are those who feel just as lost and unprotected spiritually in this world; and these folks would be seeking a refuge from the emotional/spiritual storms of life.

 I was one of the latter ones in the early 1980s. I was lost and sought spiritual strength to weather the emotional storms of life. And one morning, on my way to work, I found God’s bench of mercy. There’s not enough time to provide that whole story here; but as the blind singer Gordon Mote sings in today’s linked song, “Mercy Walked In;” … that morning I found refuge in Jesus. It was like being homeless and finding one of those benches in Vancouver, where I could be covered from the storms of life. And that’s why I come here everyday, … to crawl up in God’s truth and be covered by the warmth of His love and His grace. In His word, my mind finds the refuge of His truth; and I can crawl up under the wings of His mercy as did King David in Psalm 61.

 Come on, crawl up next to me here on His bench today.

My Prayer Today:  Heavenly Father, … You give me the cover of Your mercy and love. … Amen  

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: