Wednesday, October 18, 2017

October 18, 2017 …My Sins - His Nails

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 291 

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of Gary Chapman explaining the origin and then singing the old hymn … Leave It There … Poignantly singing of how we, as Christians, have the opportunity to take our troubles to the cross and leave them there.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Isaiah 53:4a, 5a [NLT] … 4a Surely He took up our pain and bore our suffering, … 5a But He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities, … 
… WE were the ones who mocked Him, spit on Him, beat Him, and nailed Him to that cross.
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Isaiah 53:1-6 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… Isaiah’s prophesy of the Messiah, whose wounds were our sins as He died for our transgressions. 
=============

Reference Passage [NLT] : … Zechariah 12:10-11 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… Prophesy of mourning for the One, the Messiah, Who died for our sins.

Reference Passage [NLT] : … Matthew 27:27-35 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… That was you and me who mocked Him, spit on Him, stripped Him, and crucified Him.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, David C McCasland, wrote of the pace archeologists and scholars believe Jesus was tortured and nailed to the cross, showing us that as surely as the Roman soldiers did the deed on that day, WE were the ones who nailed our Lord to that tree. The ODB author wrote: After centuries of war and destruction, the modern city of Jerusalem is literally built on its own rubble. During a family visit, we walked the Via Dolorosa (the Way of Sorrow), the route tradition says Jesus followed on His way to the cross. The day was hot, so we paused for a rest and descended to the cool basement of the Convent of the Sisters of Zion. There I was intrigued by the sight of ancient pavement stones unearthed during recent construction—stones etched with games played by Roman soldiers during their idle moments. … 
 I was deeply moved by remembering that near the place I was standing, the Lord was beaten, mocked, insulted, and abused as He took all of my failure and rebellion on Himself. 

My friends, … I’ve been there too. On a trip to the Holy Land several years ago, our group was led down into the grotto mentioned above, … which archeologists/scholars believe was the place where Jesus was mocked and tortured and nailed to the cross. And like the ODB author, I was moved to tears as I looked down to my feet [see my photo] where I was standing … on what were likely the stones where MY SINS mocked my Savior and even nailed Him to that cross.

But then I realized that my Lord endured all of that for ME, … to give ME the opportunity to do what Gary Chapman sings about in the song linked above … to take all my sins and all my failures to the cross and leave them there.

And because of what Jesus endured on those stones where I was standing, my Savior will one day take me - with all of my sinfulness - to enjoy eternity with Him FOREVER! …

Can I share a witness of HALLELUJAH!!!??

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, … King Jesus, … Precious Spirit … Yes, Lord, HALLELUJAH!! … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: