Monday, October 09, 2017

October 9, 2017 … Fearless Fishing

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 282 

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of images and lyrics from Nichole Nordeman singing her song … Finally Free … Poignantly singing of how we become free in Christ when we’re willing/able to surrender to His sanctifying Spirit.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Judges 6:14-16 [NLT] … 14 The Lord turned to him [Gideon] and said, “Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian’s hand. Am I not sending you?” … 15 “Pardon me, my lord,” Gideon replied, “but how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family.” … 16 The Lord answered, “I will be with you, and you will strike down all the Midianites, leaving none alive.” 
… When God calls us to serve Him, He will be there for us to carry out His plans. 
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Judges 6-7 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… Gideon breaks free from his slavery to fear and becomes God’s mighty warrior.
=============

Reference Passage [NLT] : … Proverbs 3:5-6 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK ...
… We must trust in the Lord to lead us in HIS WAY … not to follow our own.

Reference Passage [NLT] : … Isaiah 41:10 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK ...
… We need not fear that God cannot provide for our needs or lift us up in times of trial.

Reference Passage [NLT] : … 2nd Corinthians 12: 9-10 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… Paul clearly teaches, from Jesus’ own promise, that God’s grace is enough to provide His strength for us in times of weakness.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Anne Cetas, uses a cute story of a young person who wouldn’t fish because of the worms which were used for bait [see photo] The ODB author wrote: It was ten-year-old Cleo’s first time fishing, and as he looked into the container of bait he seemed hesitant to get started. Finally he said to my husband, “Help me, I-S-O-W!” When my husband asked him what the problem was, Cleo responded, “I-S-O-W! I’m scared of worms!” His fear had made him unable to act. 

How many of us choose not to participate in life - even when God calls us to His plans - because of fear of the worms? And today’s ODB took us to the story of Gideon (in Judges 6-7), an OT character who balked at life because of his fears. And Gideon is a Bible figure with whom I personally and strongly identify. Maybe some of my readers do as well.

God came after Gideon, hiding in fear from the cruel/powerful Midianites; and God called him to be the warrior who would defeat this powerful enemy of the Israelites. But Gideon didn’t want to go fishing because of the worms. Well, it didn’t go exactly like that. … But if you’ve read the highlight chapters in Judges, you know that God kept pursuing Gideon; … and the once fear-bound weakling became God’s mighty warrior.

The truths in this story are that God will doggedly pursue those He wants to use; and He will give them anything and everything needed to carry out God’s plans or His calling. And I identify with Gideon because God called me out of my fears and failures to march out in faith and lead a ministry to help men be set free from the fear, shame, and ravages of habitual sexual sin. And when God called me, like Gideon, I felt totally inadequate; but in time God showed me that since He set me free from my past sins, He could - and would - use me to help others walk free from those chains as well. 

So, what is God calling any of us toward today? Or maybe you’re in the midst of that calling but feeling inadequate. Well, God wants us to be, as Nichole Nordeman sings … Finally FREE … and to be His mighty warrior. So, I’m praying we all can break free from our fear of worms today and go fishing for God’s glory.

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, … King Jesus, … Precious Spirit … I’m free by You and now desire to help others be free in Your Name and for Your glory. Let’s go fishing today! … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: