Sunday, October 22, 2017

October 22, 2017 … Loving One Another

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 295 
============
Blogger Note: ... Normally posted in am ... Wifi not available during conference to post today ... Hence I’m posting this in the pm from home upon return from the conference ... wrb 
============
Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK ...  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of the mother/daughter duo, The Judds, singing their hit … Love Can Build A Bridge … poignantly singing of what is desperately needed in our world … i.e., love to bring us together …


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: John 15:12 [NLT] … 12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 
… Simple command; … so difficult to follow.
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: John 15:9-17 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… We all need a safe place to run to when we feel threatened.
=============

Reference Passage [NLT] : … John 13:34-35 [NLT] … 34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” 
… Jesus teaching - and commanding - His disciples to love one another; … but are we really His disciples?

Reference Passage [NLT] : … Philippians 2:3-4 [NLT] … 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. 
… Paul trying to get his fellow Christians to think of others before self.

Reference Passage [NLT] : … Hebrews 10:24-25 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… God’s exhortation to encourage one another and to come together in unity.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Joe Stowell, used a personal story to illustrate how we so often unwilling to share with or give to those who’re different that are we. The ODB author wrote: One of my favorite churches started several years ago as a ministry to ex-prisoners who were transitioning back into society. Now the church flourishes with people from all walks of life. I love that church because it reminds me of what I picture heaven will be like—filled with different kinds of people, all redeemed sinners, all bound together by the love of Jesus. 
Sometimes, though, I wonder if church seems more like an exclusive club than a safe haven for forgiven sinners. As people naturally gravitate into groups of “a certain kind” and cluster around those they feel comfortable with, it leaves others feeling marginalized. 

Do I sense an “AMEN” from any reader here from my journal entry today? Don’t you think we need a lot more of Jesus’ “love one another” prescription, … attempting to build bridges between us [hear the song], rather than walls?

I sure do!!

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, … King Jesus, … Precious Spirit … Help me to be a bridge builder today. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: