Sunday, September 23, 2018

September 23, 2018 … Wisdom from Others

Berry Patch Devotions in 2019 - Day 265 

Devotional Song:GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube of images and lyrics from Gordon Mote singing … Hold Me Up … poignantly singing how we often need to find strength and wisdom from God’s agents … brother/sisters in Christ who have more of God’s direction and wisdom in confusing times.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Matthew 18:19-20 [NKJV] … 19 “Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.” 
… Seeking out the wisdom and advice of other, wiser, brothers in the faith will gain God’s wisdom and discernment in a difficult or confusing issue.
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Matthew 18:15-20 [NKJV]… USE THIS LINK
… Jesus’ instruction on dealing with brothers who’ve gone astray in the Church.
=============

Reference Passage : … Proverbs 1:5, 19:20 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK …
... God’s wisdom to all who seek light in the darkness of confusion … to seek God’s wisdom from others.

Reference Passage : … 1 Peter 5:5 [NKJV] … Likewise you younger people, submit yourselves to your elders. Yes, all of you be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for … “God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” 
… Peter, quoting Prov. 3:34, with advice to lesser mature Christians … to humbly seek wisdom from their elders in the faith.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Arthur Jackson, used a teaching example which many of us can identify. The author wrote … “You need to listen to me, … I’m your brother!” The plea came from a concerned older brother in my neighborhood and was directed to a younger sibling who was moving farther away from him than the older child was comfortable with. Clearly the older child was better able to judge what was best in the situation. 
How many of us have resisted the wise counsel of a brother or sister? If you’ve had to face the consequences of resisting the good advice of someone more mature, you’re not alone. 

Fellow Christian … have you ever been in a place of darkness or confusion, seeking a way up or out as Gordon Mote sings in the linked song? Of course we’ve all been there in times of confusion or weakness, haven’t we? And for those of us who believe in a merciful/loving Savior, we often pray, again as in the song, for God to HOLD US UP.

Well, God’s word gives us His “GPS,” in those times, [see Scriptures above] directing us first to go to more mature and discerning brothers/sisters in the faith to help be our Godly “GPS” in times of confusion or darkness. And I pray here that all reading with me have some one(s) to go to in such times, … someone, as in the photo, who can lift us up or give us Godly, discerning direction to help us out of our darkness or confusion.

I’ve been blessed in my life to have Elders, mentors, and a very intuitive wife who’ve been my “GPS” in the confusing times of life. I hope you have people like that to give you God’s direction today out of the fogginess of life. If not, I pray you’ll seek someone in God’s family, wiser than you, who can hold you up.

=============
My THANKFULNESS: … Oh Abba Father, … thank You, Lord, … for brothers/sisters in the faith who’ve often given me Your direction in times of confusion.
=============

My Prayer Today: Oh Abba Father, … King Jesus, … I pray, Lord, that You will help those here who need Your direction to find a wiser brother/sister to show them Your path. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: