Tuesday, September 03, 2019

September 3, 2019 … Sin’s Slippery Slope

Berry Patch Devotions in 2019 - Day 246 

Devotional Song: ... GO TO THIS LINK ... Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of images and lyrics from Queen Latifah, in the movie “Joyful Noise,” singing Fix Me, Jesus ... poignantly singing a prayer for God’s Spirit to do what we all need … fixing and getting us back on God’s path of righteousness.


==============
Highlight Verse[s]: Psalm 141:4-5 [NLT] ... 4 Don’t let me drift toward evil or take part in acts of wickedness. Don’t let me share in the delicacies of those who do wrong. 5 Let the godly strike me! It will be a kindness! If they correct me, it is soothing medicine. Don’t let me refuse it. 
.. David prays for others to help him stay on God’s path in life, … the path of righteousness. ==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Psalm 141 [NLT] ... USE THIS LINK ...
... King David’s prayer in song, recognizing His need for God to give him the strength to keep him from falling into patterns of sin, which he had in his past.
==============

Reference Passage : ... Psalm 139:23-24 [NLT] ... 23  Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. 24  Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life. .
.. David also prays in song for God to set him back on the path of righteousness if he gets off track.

Reference Passage : ... Proverbs 3:5-6 [NLT] ... 5  Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. 6  Seek His will in all you do, and He will show you which path to take. 
.. If we trust God and diligently seek His path, … He will show us the right way.

Reference Passage : ... Proverbs 27:6 [NLT] ... 6  Wounds from a sincere friend are better than many kisses from an enemy. .
.. It’s important and wonderful when we have friends who will rebuke us when we fall away from God’s righteous path.

Reference Passage : …Matthew 6:13 [NLT] ... 13  And don’t let us yield to temptation, but rescue us from the evil one. 
... Jesus showed His followers (that’s us too!) the way to pray for The Lord to help us avoid temptation.

Reference Passage : ... 1Corinthians 10:13 [NLT] ... 13 The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure. 
... No matter what the temptations in life, God is faithful to lead us back onto His path, … IF … we’re willing to let Him show us the right way.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, David Roper, uses a personal story of falling while skiing to illustrate how we all have slippery slopes of sin which can trip us up at times. … The ODB author wrote: Years ago, when I was learning to ski, I followed my son Josh down what appeared to be a gentle slope. With my eyes on him I failed to notice he turned down the steepest hill on the mountain, and I found myself careening down the slope, [see photo] completely out of control. I cratered, of course. 

I think we all have slippery slopes (of sin) in our lives which can trip us up; … that is, if we’re not vigilant or we don’t get help from real friends to keep us upright. That’s one reason why you find me here - in this quiet place every day - doing what Queen Latifah sings in the linked son, … praying that God’s keeps me upright with prayer and thru His word.

And I have several real friends who would help me stay upright if I slipped on my slippery slopes. And I pray that all reading here have personal disciplines of the faith which help keep us from falling in life … as well as friends who will pick us up if we fall and help us get back upright and following Jesus.

=============
My THANKFULNESS: ... Oh Abba Father, ... thank You, Lord, ... for always being there with friends to help pick me up when I fall.
=============

My Prayer Today: Oh Abba Father, ... King Jesus, ... I pray, Lord, that all reading here will join me to do all we can to avoid slipping and falling off the path which leads us to God’s glory. . … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.</ span>

No comments: