Tuesday, October 08, 2019

October 8, 2019 … Cleft for Me

Berry Patch Devotions in 2019 - Day 281 

Devotional Song: ... GO TO THIS LINK ...  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of song and lyrics from Amy Grant and Vince Gill singing Rock of Ages ... poignantly singing of how God protects us from the storms of life and even from being overwhelmed by His presence.


==============
Highlight Verse[s]: Exodus 33:22 [NKJV] ... 22 So it shall be, while My glory passes by, that I will put you in the cleft of the rock, and will cover you with My hand while I pass by. 
… God shelters Moses from seeing His glory and dying by sheltering him in the rock. 
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Exodus 33:12-23 [NKJV] ... USE THIS LINK ...
… God shelters Moses from His glory by placing him in the cleft of a rock (see photo). 
==============

Reference Passage : … Matthew 11:28-30 [NKJV] ... 28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am [a]gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” 
… Jesus offers to protect us when we let Him help us carry the burdens of life.

Reference Passage : … Luke 8:17 [NKJV] ... 20 … and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” 
… Jesus promise to be with His faithful remnant … ALWAYS!!

Reference Passage : … Hebrews 13:5b [NKJV] ... 5 … For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” 
… God’s promises, thru the Author of Hebrews (the Holy Spirit) to never leave us of forsake us.

Reference Passage : … 1Peter 5:7 [NKJV] ... 7 … casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you. … So, … let’s do that today!!

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Amy Boucher Pye, uses a reference to the songwriter who wrote “Rock of Ages” to illustrate how Christians must have faith in the sheltering care of our Lord. … The ODB author wrote: As the story goes, in 1763, a young minister, traveling on a cliffside road in Somerset, England, ducked into a cave to escape the flashes of lightning and pounding rain. As he looked out at Cheddar Gorge, he pondered the gift of finding shelter and peace in God. Waiting there, he began to write a hymn, “Rock of Ages,” with its memorable opening lines: “Rock of Ages, cleft for me, let me hide myself in thee.” 
We don’t know if Augustus Toplady thought about Moses’s experience in the cleft of a rock [see photo] while writing the hymn (Exodus 33:22), but perhaps he did. 

Like the writer of the old hymn, “Rock of Ages,” we need to have the faith sung about in that hymn by Amy Grant and her husband, Vince Gill in the linked version, as they sing about God’s powerful/protective grace as we face the storms of life. Because, … we can truly hide behind the “Rock of Ages,” … our Savior, King Jesus, … knowing that His presence will never leave us (see Heb. 13:5b).

But we’ve got to be willing to come to our caring God and cast our cares on Him (see 1Peter 5:7), allowing Him to do what He offers born-again believers … i.e., to let Him help us carry those burdens of life (see Matt. 11:28-40).

These burdens can be too heavy for us; so, I pray we hide in the cleft of He Rock of Ages today and rest in His powerful protective presence.

=============
My THANKFULNESS: ... Oh Abba Father, ... thank You, Lord, ... for being our hiding place when we need Your protection.
=============

My Prayer Today: Oh Abba Father, ... King Jesus, ... I pray, Lord, that all reading here will join me, to rest in the cover and protective grace of our Rock of Ages. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.</ span>

No comments: