Saturday, November 16, 2013

November 16, 2013 … Lighting Our World

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2013 - Day 320

 Devotional Song: Go to this link  – Please take your time to see a video of a poignant song performed by Chris Rice, Go Light Your Candle, reminding us how we, as Christians, must GO and be a light in this very dark world. …
=============


Highlight Passage: Luke 2: 49-50… [Jesus set about to do His Father’s business.] … [NKJV]  
49 And He said to them [Jesus’ parents], “Why did you seek Me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business?” 50 But they did not understand the statement which He spoke to them.  ============
Highlight Passage: Luke 2: 41-50… GO TO THIS LINK … [NKJV] … 
============

Reference Passage #1: Matthew 5: 14-16 … [NKJV] … GO TO THIS LINK [Our business must be the sharing of Christ’s light in a very darkened world.] …

Reference Passage #2: Acts 1: 8 [NLT] … [So, as witness for Christ, we light the candle of others with our own shared candle.] 
  8 "… But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

My Journal for Today: Today, taking the passage from Luke 2: 41-50, Os Hillman, writing primarily to a workplace audience in his devotional book, used the franchising of businesses as his word picture to describe how we, as Christ’s witnesses (see Acts 1: 8) should be about God’s business, as was his Son, by sharing Him with others and spreading His Kingdom by doing all we can to seek others to be a part of this kingdom spreading enterprise. It’s a good analogy; but I prefer another, more universally experienced word picture to illustrate this truth.

Have you ever been in a very dark room with a lot of other folks, all of whom have candles; and one person lights a candle? And the first thing that we see is than even just one candle will dispel much of the darkness in the room; but as one person lights the candle of another [see attached photo], … now there are 2 candles, then four, then 8; … and as the candle-lighting spreads, the darkness is dispelled to reveal the light. Perhaps you’ve been at a church service where this effect was used to illustrate how we need to fulfill the call of our Lord in Matthew 5: 14-16, where Jesus said we, His disciples, are to be the candle-bearers of His Gospel to the world – a very dark world.

After you’ve taken in the video of Chris Rice’s poignant song [linked above], … I’ll not go on here; because I think you get the picture. The question, out of my conviction from this word picture, is … Am I doing all I can to share Christ’s light in this world which seems to get ever darker?

My Prayer for Today … Lord, I pray I’m Your light today as I enter a very dark world. … Amen

Blogger Note: Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online blog entitled Today God Is First [TGIF], authored by Os Hillman. If you GO TO THIS LINK  on the date of my blog, you’ll find a link to read Hillman’s TGIF blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: