Thursday, November 21, 2013

November 21, 2013 … No Accidents

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2013 - Day 325

Devotional Song: Go to this link  – Please take your time to see a video of a telling song performed by Sara Groves, I Saw What I Saw, reminding us how we, as Christians, will be touched and changed by ALL of what life presents us in God’s providence and plan.
 =============


Highlight Passage - NLT: !st Samuel 9: 3…  
3 One day Kish’s donkeys strayed away, and he told Saul, “Take a servant with you, and go look for them.”.  
============
Highlight Passage: 1st Samuel, Chapter 9… GO TO THIS LINK … [NLT] … 
============

Reference Passage #1: Proverbs 3: 5-6 … [Pay attention! On the confusing road of life God is leading us HIS way.] … [NLT]  
5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. 
6 Seek His will in all you do, and He will show you which path to take.

Reference Passage #2: Romans 8: 28 … [NLT] … [Yes, ALL THINGS!] …  
28 And we know that God causes everything to work together[a] for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.

My Journal for Today: I was reminded by a truth brought out by Os Hillman’s devotional entry today; and it’s a truth to which I need to cling. And it really also reminds me how I recoil almost every time I hear a fellow Christians almost reflexively say, “I was so lucky!” Or maybe a brother might say, “I accidently went down this road.”

I recoil when I hear such proclamations because they say to me that the Christian making those statements either doesn’t understand or doesn’t believe that God is sovereign. Because if they grasped this truth – i.e., that God is ALWAYS in control – they would understand the premise or truth that there are NO ACCIDENTS; … hence the title for my journal entry this morning.

The graphic which I attached is a repeat from a journal entry I posted back on November 1 (if you want to go back and check it out); and the sign indicates that the roads in our life can be confusing at times; and we often are searching, given the circumstances of life, to find the right way – GOD’S WAY. That was the case in the highlight Scripture passage Os Hillman used today for illustration from 1st Samuel 9 (see linked above). This was the story of Saul, before he was the first king of Israel, being assigned by his father to go out to find a number of misplaced donkeys (a serious problem because of the value of donkeys to business people in those days). And Saul, through this search, and not finding the donkeys, was led to the Prophet Samuel; and that set of seemingly “accidental” circumstances became critical in the history of God’s people getting their first king. And we know, from biblical history, the so-called “rest of the story.”

As Christians we need to remember – and internalize – two scripture passages to which I very often end up quoting or making reference in my daily devotionals … Proverbs 3: 5-6 and Romans 8: 28. And both of these passages – if understood and believed – clearly dictate that THERE ARE NO ACCIDENTS. We believe these two truths, and live by them, as Christians … or we don’t! And if we do, we recognize that even our most confusing and confounding life circumstances are being engineered or allowed by God to bring something good or some direction to life.

So, as we step into life today, realize that everything we see, … everything we encounter, … and everywhere we go is God’s will unfolding for our good … and for our God. As Sara Groves sings in the song I recalled for today, what we see today will touch us to the core of our being with God’s love.

He’s leading us. … So, let’s follow Him!

My Prayer for Today … Lord, everyday my road is where You lead me. … Amen

Blogger Note: Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online blog entitled Today God Is First [TGIF], authored by Os Hillman. If you GO TO THIS LINK  on the date of my blog, you’ll find a link to read Hillman’s TGIF blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: