Saturday, November 02, 2013

November 2, 2013 … An Audience of One

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2013 - Day 306

Devotional Song: Go to this link -  Please take the time to meditate on this powerful song sung by the group Avalon, singing Everything To Me, … reminding us Jesus should be or become our all. … And then to this link to hear the old classic, Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus, sung in this case by Michael W. Smith, which just says it all, doesn’t it?
=============

Highlight Passage: John 21: 21-22 … [Taking our eyes off of me and setting them on Jesus.] … [NLT]  
21 Peter asked Jesus, “What about him, Lord?” 22 Jesus replied, “If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You follow Me.”
============
Highlight Passage: John, Chapter 21, Verses 15-23… GO TO THIS LINK … [NLT] … 
============

Reference Passage #1: Luke 9: 23 … [It’s the part about denying self that diverts our attention, doesn’t it?] … [NLT]  
23 Then He said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be My follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow Me. … “

Reference Passage #2: Matthew 14: 22-33 … [Yes, keep your eyes on Jesus, … even to walk on the water] GO TO THIS LINK ...  [NLT]

My Journal for Today: Jesus and Peter had such a fascinating relationship, didn’t they?

Attached above you see the depiction of Peter being saved by Jesus after he had just walked on water at Jesus’ command (see the story from Matthew 14 linked above). And there was that business of Peter denying Jesus three times; and then, when Jesus returned to Peter after the resurrection (read in John 21), Jesus restored Peter to fellowship and leadership again. But then, right at the end of that story in John 21, we read how Peter still had to deal with his own selfishness and envy as he was more concerned about himself in comparison with John, whom Jesus also loved. Read about it with the above link; and when you do, … don’t you just identify with Peter? I sure do!

It’s so easy with our deceit-ridden hearts (see Jer. 17: 9) to make our selves the focus of our living; … or to let our attention be drawn away by the bombardment of information and clamor from the world. But I’m taken back to the chorus of that wonderful old hymn, written in 1922 by Helen Lemmel, which so often help me refocus my attention on the One Who should always be, as He demanded from His disciples (see Luke 9: 23), my AUDIENCE OF ONE.

I’ll not write any more here. I think the message is obvious. At least it is for me. Today I need to be Jesus’ audience of one, keeping my focus on Him and allowing Him to lead me away from myself and from the world, as the old hymn sings, … “in the light of His glory and grace.”

My Prayer for Today … Lord, I turn my eyes on You, … and You alone. … Amen

Blogger Note: Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online blog entitled Today God Is First [TGIF], authored by Os Hillman. If you GO TO THIS LINK  on the date of my blog, you’ll find a link to read Hillman’s TGIF blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: