Tuesday, November 13, 2018

November 13, 2018 … Following My Shepherd

Berry Patch Devotions in 2019 - Day 316 

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK … Please take the time to take in a YouTube of images from Marty Goetz singing … Psalm 23 … poignantly singing his rendition of the Psalm of David about our Good Shepherd.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Ezekiel 34:11-12 [NKJV] … 11 ‘For thus says the Lord God: “Indeed I Myself will search for My sheep and seek them out. 12 As a shepherd seeks out his flock on the day he is among his scattered sheep, so will I seek out My sheep and deliver them from all the places where they were scattered on a cloudy and dark day.
…  God is our Good Shepherd, leading us as His sheep. 
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Ezekiel 34:7-16 [NKJV]… USE THIS LINK
… God, thru the Prophet, shows His people that they, like sheep, will be led by a Good Shepherd to green Pastures.
=============

Reference Passage : … Psalm 23 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK
… We do have a Good Shepherd and He is so willing to lead us from the valley of the shadow of death into green pastures; … if we but follow Him.

Reference Passage : … Isaiah 53:6 [NKJV] … 6  All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned, every one, to his own way; and the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all. 
… We are ALL like sheep, in need of a Good Shepherd.

Reference Passage : … John 10:7-11 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK
… We have a Good Shepherd … all we must do is hear Him and follow Him to safe pastures.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Amy Peterson, used a biblical word picture often used in the Bible to describe our need for a Good Shepherd. The ODB author writes … My friend Chad spent a year as a shepherd in Wyoming. “Sheep are so dumb that they’ll only eat what is right in front of them,” he told me. “Even if they’ve eaten all the grass in front of them, they won’t turn to look for a fresh patch—they’ll just start eating dirt!” 
We laughed, and I couldn’t help but think about how often the Bible compares humans to sheep. No wonder we need a shepherd [see photo]! But since sheep are so dumb, not just any shepherd will do. Sheep need a shepherd who cares about them. 

I think the oft repeated word picture (see Scriptures above) of us being sheep is an apt one, don’t you think? How many times, especially in my earlier years did I wander away from the leading of the Good Shepherd? And how many times did He come after me to rescue me (as in the photo)? And the truth of me as one of the Lord’s wayward lambs, really strikes home when I hear Marty Goetz singing his rendition of our Psalm 23, written by David, who had been a shepherd. I hope all readers take the few moments to hear and meditate on the truths of that song (linked above).

And then I pray we all do all we can today to let our Good Shepherd lead us, staying as close to Him as we can, as He leads us thru the valleys of death’s shadows into His eternal green pastures. 

=============
My THANKFULNESS: … Oh Abba Father, … thank You, Lord, … for being my Good Shepherd. 
=============

My Prayer Today: Oh Abba Father, … King Jesus, … I pray, Lord, we listen for Your voice to lead us away from the dangers of the prowling enemy. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: