Monday, November 19, 2018

November 19, 2018 … Godly Confrontation

Berry Patch Devotions in 2019 - Day 322 

Devotional Song: … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube of song and lyrics from Chris McClarney singing … Beauty for Ashes … poignantly singing of how our Lord was willing to confront our sin on the cross; and He expects us to confront the sin of others with His mercy and love as well.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: 1 Samuel 25:32-33 [NKJV] … 32 Then David said to Abigail: “Blessed is the Lord God of Israel, who sent you this day to meet me! 33 And blessed is your advice and blessed are you, because you have kept me this day from coming to bloodshed and from avenging myself with my own hand. 
… Because Abigail was willing to confront David in a caring manner, with truth from God’s word, David was able to back away from his vengeful heart and allow Abigail’s foolish husband to live. 
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: 1 Samuel 25:14-35 [NKJV]… USE THIS LINK
… The story of Abigail confronting David to save her husband Nabal’s life and David’s ungodly heart of vengeance.
=============

Reference Passage : … Proverbs 27:17 [NKJV] … 17 As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend. 
… God’s word moves us to confront and help others to deal with the challenges of life, and yes, even the sin.

Reference Passage : … Galatians 6:1 [NKJV] … 1 Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted. 2 Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. 
 … God, thru Paul, exhorts Christians to confront one who is burdened openly by sin and help that person by confronting the sin and loving the sinner in the process.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Elisa Morgan, used a personal recollection of having to confront a colleague with wrong doing to illustrate what we must do as Christians when we see wrong doing. The ODB author writes … I once drove fifty miles to have a hard conversation with a remote staff person [see photo]. I had received a report from another employee that suggested he was misrepresenting our company, and I was concerned for our reputation. I felt nudged to offer an opinion that might change his choices. 

I don’t know about other readers here, but I, for one, hate confrontation! However, sometimes, as in the ODB example, it’s unavoidable. And that was the point of the biblical story of Abigail having to confront King David in order to save her family from her husband’s foolish actions (see highlight passage).

And as disciples of Christ, we’re to remember how our Lord was willing to confront Satan and take upon Himself all the sins of mankind to save us from ourselves. Yes, as the reference scriptures above exhort us as Christians, we are to humbly and lovingly confront those who are in bondage to sin and help them throw off their shackles.

Years ago as a manager in a large hospital, when I saw a colleague making a mistake, I learned to use four magic words to confront that person; and those words were “I need your help,” … coming to the person with open arms rather than with fingers pointed in his/her direction. And that’s the Godly posture of confrontation that Abigail took in confronting David; and I pray it’s the one we take when we see others making unGodly mistakes.

=============
My THANKFULNESS: … Oh Abba Father, … thank You, Lord, … for confronting and defeating the sin in my life.
=============

My Prayer Today: Oh Abba Father, … King Jesus, … I pray, Lord, that all reading here are willing to confront others and lovingly use God’s mercy/love to help others walk free from the shackles of sin. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled “Our Daily Bread,” distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: