Monday, January 19, 2015

January 19, 2015 … What will I do now?

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2015 - Day 19

Devotional Song: ... Go to this link  … Please take the time to take in a shortened video of Martin Luther King declaring … ”I have a dream … “, … on a day that caused many to say, “What will I do now?” … And THEN ON TO THIS LINK where three friends make their choice about Jesus and they sing, I Will Follow Christ … Now we must choose. Do we believe and follow this man, Jesus! 


Highlight Passage John 7: 46 [NKJV] …
  46 The officers answered, “No man ever spoke like this Man!” 
… The people who heard/saw Jesus were forced to ask, “Now what do we do?”
============

Highlight Context - John 7: 26-46 [NKJV]USE THIS LINK
… Jesus was in the Temple declaring His radical message of salvation …
============

Reference Passage #1: Luke 9: 23 [NKJV] … 
23 Then He said to them all, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. ... "

My Journal for Today: Today’s Our Daily Bread devotional entry, authored by David C MacCasland, uses an illustration from today’s celebration of Martin Luther King day to illustrate just how one must encounter the reality of Jesus in life.

Today we celebrate the life, death, and message of a man who changed the course of history in America, … Martin Luther King. And many who read with me here today likely remember, as I do, that day in Washington, DC, when Dr. King spoke during the march on the Capital in 1963. I was watching Dr. King on a TV screen, much like the one in the short video link above, as he declared to millions watching that day, saying … “I have a dream!!!” And when many heard him that day, they, like me, had to be thinking silently, “What am I going to do now?” 

And in a like manner when Jesus walked the earth, during His last days, and when He spoke to the people; … and when He was confronted by the religious authorities of His day, all who heard Jesus were confronted with the reality of Whom they were hearing. The Pharisees and religious leaders thought Jesus to be a rabble rouser. Many in the crowds thought this man to be THE CHRIST. But all were likely confronted with the feeling, as we were when we heard Martin Luther King in the early 60s, … “What are we going to do now?”

 Today, on this national holiday, as we in the US are commemorating Dr. King’s life, we all should be remembering the One Dr. King followed, … the man, Jesus as He confronted His world just before He went to the cross. Today, this very day, … we are all confronted with the question, “What am I going to do with THIS MAN Who claimed to be our Messiah?”

 Personally, I’ve declared Jesus’ claims to be truth. I say He is my King! He is my Lord? I will follow Him forever as my friend Clay Crosse and his friends sing in the song linked above.

 What about you?

 When we remember what Dr. Martin Luther King challenged us to do in the 60s, what will we do? But more importantly, when Jesus speaks into the hearts of mankind from God’s word, calling us as He did to those who were following Him in those days [see Luke 9: 23 linked above], what will we do? …

 Well, … as for me … I will follow Christ?

My Prayer for Today O Lord, … Lead me; … I will follow You! … Amen

Blogger Note: Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries. If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: