Monday, January 05, 2015

January 5, 2015 … “Some Assembly Required”

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2015 - Day 5

Devotional Song: Go to this link  … Please take the time to take in a video of Phillips, Craig, and Dean singing the poignant song, He’ll Do Whatever It Takes, … proclaiming the truth that God will supply whatever grace we need if we but humbly yield to Him.


Highlight Passage #1 Philippians 4: 6-7 [NKJV] … 
6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. 
============
Highlight Context - Philippians 4: 4-13 [NKJV]USE THIS LINK …   Paul had discovered what it took to avoid worry and stress.
============

Reference Passage #1 - 1st Corinthians 10: 13 [NKJV] … 
13 No temptation [also translated “test, tribulation, or trial”] has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it. … 
Paul exhorted that God will never allow a believer to be put in any temptation without the Lord’s faithful help to deal with such trials.

Reference Passage #2 - Philippians 1: 3-6 [NKJV] … 
3 I thank my God upon every remembrance of you, 4 always in every prayer of mine making request for you all with joy, 5 for your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now, 6 being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ; … 
Paul was confident in the finishing work of God’s Spirit, the fellowship of believers, and the power in prayer to his Lord.

Reference Passage #3 - 1st Peter 5: 6-7 [NKJV] … 
6 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, 7 casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.
 Peter discovered the power of humility and where to get his help in life.

My Journal for Today: Today’s Our Daily Bread devotional entry, authored by Bill Crowder, through a personal story reminded me of my own encounter with failure and how to deal with the difficulties and stresses of life.

A few years ago, my wife and I purchased an office clutch which we saw assembled in a home improvement store. It was just what we needed for my office with a desk space, a spot for a computer tower and monitor, and a variety of shelves. When it arrived, stamped clearly on the box were the words, ”Some assembly required!” Well, when we got all the parts unpacked and got a look at the instructions, I realized that I was WAY OVER MY HEAD to assemble the project (see attached photo). Therefore, I had to contract with a friend who could decipher the instructions and construct the hutch to specifications. It took him two full days; but with his carpentry skills, he built the piece of furniture, much to the relief of yours truly. Seeing the finished project, I was glad to pay my friend for doing the job. And this very morning I’m sitting at that hutch doing this morning devotional. 

Sometimes it takes more than we have in life to deal with the trials, tribulations, temptations, and troubles which can come our way. Two of Christ’s Apostles, Paul and Peter, quoted above in Scripture, recognized that they needed the help of God’s Spirit, the fellowship of believers, and prayer to deal with the anxieties of life.

 I hope any reader here will take the time to take in the song linked above where Phillips, Craig, and Deal lay out the truth in song that God will “do whatever it takes” to provide any Christian the enabling and empowering grace to deal with life. That’s what Paul was decrying in writing to his beloved friends in Philippi [see Philippians 4: 4-13] and those in Corinth [see 1st Cor. 10: 13], which, of course, was also directed to all Christians like you and me. He exhorted us to deal with the stresses of life by taking them to God in prayer [see Phil. 4: 6-7] and relying on others in the body of Christ [just as Peter also related in 1st Peter 5: 6-7].

 So, I pray that I can internalize and activate these truths as I’m forever in need of “some assembly” in trying to put my life together in this complicated and stress-filled life.

My Prayer for Today Lord, … Help me as I deal today with life’s complications and concerns. I lean on Your power - AGAIN. … Amen

Blogger Note: Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries. If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: