Friday, January 09, 2015

January 9, 2015 … God’s Love Letter

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2015 - Day 9

Devotional Song: Go to this link  … Please take the time to take in a video of the lyrics with Phillips, Craig, and Dean sining the poignant song, I Choose To Believe, … proclaiming our need to believe God’s promises and His truth, which we find most clearly laid out in His word.


Highlight Passage #1 Psalm 119: 97 [NKJV] … 
97 Oh, how I love Your law! It is my meditation all the day. 
============
Highlight Passage #2 Psalm 119: 105 [NKJV] … 
105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. 
============
Highlight Context - Psalm 119: 97-104 [NKJV]USE THIS LINK …   The Psalmist declares his love of God’s word - “His Law”
 ============

Reference Passage #1 - Joshua 1: 8 [NKJV] … 
8 This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.
God’s prescription for spiritual success in following God’s will to Joshua.

Reference Passage #2 - 2nd Timothy 3: 16-17 [NKJV]
16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
Paul exhorts the power of Scripture to Timothy … but also to any believer.

My Journal for Today: Today’s Our Daily Bread devotional entry, authored by Poh Fang Chia, reminded his readers (and me) of a lesson I learned from a mentor years ago; and that is about the power of God’s word to guide us through life; and that is why you will find me here - EVERY MORNING - digging deeply into God’s love letter, His word, written to/for any who believe in its truth to capture the essence of the God we love.

 The author of Psalm 119 knew this; and when you read and study his longest Psalm in the Bible, one can’t help but see that this believer, whoever he was, had a love affair in knowing and following God’s word. My mentor once expressed a prayer he had for me was that I would wake up each day with anticipation of what God was going to give me through His word to do what Paul wrote about to Timothy in 2nd Timothy 3: 16-17. And that is my prayer for any who’re reading with me today. And here I am with just that expectation.

 I pray that we all believe what God exhorted Joshua in Joshua 1: 8 … to be in God’s word every day; … and to have God’s word permeate our being so that it can lead us to success in following His will and His ways. I pray that we all develop a love affair for God’s word as did the author of Psalm 119. And I pray that we realize that God’s word is His love letter to all who believe in its power to light the way of our path in life.

 My mentor taught me - and I believe him - that to know God through His word would cause us to love Him more; … and to love our Lord more and more through His word would cause us to obey God more; … and to obey God and His word more readily would cause us to want to serve Him more and more; … and finally, to serve God more by following His word would allow God to bless us more and more. Therefore, if we want to be blessed by God (and what Christian doesn’t?!), we need to get to know God more and more; and the best way to get to know our God more intimately is through His word.

 And I’ll be here tomorrow - going more deeply into God’s love letter - because my desire is to know my God more intimately every day of my life; and His word is the best way for me (or you) to know our Lord.

My Prayer for Today O Lord, … I beg You to give me more and more from Your word to light my path. … Amen

Blogger Note: Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries. If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: