Tuesday, September 15, 2015

September 15, 2015:  Compass and Lamp

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2015 - Day 257  

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a video of lyrics and images of a the Maranatha Singers singing Thy Lamp, … praising God for the Lamp He gives us through His word to lead us through the trek of life.


Highlight Passage:   Psalm 119: 104 [NKJV]  … 
105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light unto my patch … Following God’s word is the only way to find our way safely through the darkness and dangers of our trek through the minefields of life.
============ 
Highlight Context – Psalm 119: 105-112 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK  …  
…  God shows us the way in life by the compass and light of His word.
============      

Reference Passage #1 - Deuteronomy 31: 8 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK
…  God will go ahead and lead us; but we must follow Him; and the best way to do that is by using His compass - God’s word!

Reference Passage #2 - Proverbs 3: 5-6 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK
…  Trusting and following God’s word is the only way we can find our way through the minefields of life.

Reference Passage #3 - John 14: 21 [NKJV] … 
21 He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.” 
…  And where do we find God’s commandments? … Duh! … In His word.

Reference Passage #4 - 1st Corinthians 11: 1 [MEV] … 
1 Follow me as I follow Christ. 
 …  Paul knew where to walk through the minefields of life, didn’t he?

My Journal for Today:  Today’s Our Daily Bread author, Marvin Williams, tells a story to illustrate his teaching point. He writes … During World War II, small compasses saved the lives of 27 sailors 300 miles off the coast of North Carolina. Waldemar Semenov, a retired merchant seaman, was serving as a junior engineer aboard the SS Alcoa Guide when a German submarine surfaced and opened fire on the ship. The ship was hit, caught fire, and began to sink. Semenov and his crew lowered compass-equipped lifeboats into the water and used the compasses to guide them toward the shipping lanes closer to shore. After three days, the men were rescued. 

Finding our way through the minefields of life can be challenging at times, can’t it? In mentoring others, I’ve often asked the question … “If you were forced to walk through a minefield, would you rather go it on your own or follow someone who knows exactly where the mines are?” … Duh, … The answer is a no-brainer, right?

 And as we walk through life, the word and truth of today’s highlight passage/verse rings true. God’s word is our compass and our lamp to find our way in life. The Bible, i.e., His word, is our guide through the minefield; and I, for one come here everyday, taking that guide into my life so that I can follow it as my compass and my torch as I follow the One and only guide through the minefields of life; and that, of course, is our Lord, Jesus [see John 14:21].

 In today’s highlight passage you can read just how much the Psalmist relied on God’s word as His lamp to guide his footsteps (see Psalm 119: 105 and the song linked above). And I love it when you read Paul’s confident declaration to Christians in 1st Cor. 11:1, where he said to Corinth, “Follow me a I follow Christ!” [Modern English Version]

 Again today, I’m here, using the compass of God’s truth and the light of His word, to guide me through life - especially through the minefields I may encounter even today. Because I know that if I follow Christ’s lead closely, He’s going to lead me and go ahead of me (see also Deut. 31: 8).

My Prayer Today:  Oh, my Lord, … show me THE way, … Your way … from the light of Your word.  … Amen  

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: