Thursday, September 24, 2015

September 24, 2015:  Strength from Setback

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2015 - Day 266  

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a video of Laura Story singing the song, written by her in a time of desperation … Blessings, … declaring the how life’s blessings often come hidden in the challenges and setbacks of life… And then ON TO THIS LINK  for Steven Curtis Chapman singing his poignant song - His Strength Is Perfect … especially when we confronted with the setbacks of life.


Highlight Passage:   Psalm 27: 14 [NKJV]  … 
14 Wait on the Lord. Be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your hear. … 
…  Setbacks often give the lift we need to move ahead in life.
============ 
Highlight Context – Psalm 27 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK  …  
…  He is our strength, especially when our strength is gone.
============      

Reference Passage #1 - 2nd Corinthians 12: 9 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK
… God’s empowering grace is always sufficient.

My Journal for Today:  Today’s Our Daily Bread author, Bill Crowder, relates a story about the Olympic swimmer Dara Torres (see attached photo) to illustrate his point that God often allows setbacks in our lives to give us the lift we need to be his strong witness.

 Crowder writes … American swimmer Dara Torres had a remarkable career, appearing in five different Olympics from 1984 to 2008. Late in her career, Torres broke the US record for the 50-meter freestyle—25 years after she herself set that record. But it wasn’t always medals and records. Torres also encountered obstacles in her athletic career: injuries, surgery, as well as being almost twice the age of most other competitors. She said, “I’ve wanted to win at everything, every day, since I was a kid. . . . I’m also aware that setbacks have an upside; they fuel new dreams.” 

Actually I’m writing this blog a bit later in the day than usual because I’m facing one of those “setbacks.” I have contracted acute bronchitis; and this morning - my usual devotional time - in a febrile state, I was coughing so severely I couldn’t concentrate to meditate and journal in a morning quiet time with God. And even right now, when I’ve calmed down a bit, I still am coughing rather profusely. But I know the truth of what the Psalmist penned in Psalm 27 is truth; and I simply didn’t want to let this setback keep me from some special time with God.

 And, though later than usual, I come here this afternoon and God’s timing with Bill Crowder’s devotional was perfect for my weakened state, … realizing that I can rely on God’s strength when I’m weak as I am now … and as Laura Story wrote in her song, “Blessings,” I may just be getting the blessing I need by coming to my God in my little setback state today.

 Right now, though, I must admit that I don’t feel like this is a blessing; but I trust my God to get me through this and help me to move on in His strength.

My Prayer Today:  Oh, my Lord, … Give me the strength I need when mine is gone.  … Amen  

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: