Sunday, September 20, 2015

September 20, 2015:  Commitment To Surrender

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2015 - Day 262

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a video of Brian Littrell singing the old hymn with a modern refrain, I Surrender All, … declaring the posture all Christians must take to receive God’s enabling/empowering grace … especially in dealing with the trials of life.


Highlight Passage:   Psalm 31: 14 [NKJV]  … 
14 But as for me, I trust You, O Lord; … I say, “You are my God!” 
…  Commitment to trust.
============
Highlight Context – Psalm 31 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK  …  
…  Being in surrender mode in Life - total trust in God, no matter what happens.
============     

Reference Passage #1 - Proverbs 3: 5-6 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK
…  We know it’s true; but do we live as if it is when trials come.

Reference Passage #2 - Romans 8: 28 [NKJV] … 
28 All things work together for the good of those who love the Lord and are the called according to His purposes. 
…  Really?!! ALL THINGS?!!

Reference Passage #3 - 1st Peter 5: 7 [NKJV] … 
7 … casting all your cares on Him because He cares for you. …  Yes, … ALL cares!

My Journal for Today:  Today’s Our Daily Bread author, Tim Gustafson, relates a very personal story tragedy in his life, where he lost his only brother. He writes, … As I sat in the surgical waiting room, I had time to think. I had been here recently, when we received the jarring news that my only brother, much too young, was “brain dead.” … And so on this day, waiting for news about my wife who was undergoing a serious surgical procedure, I penned a lengthy note to her. Then, surrounded by nervous chatter and oblivious children, I listened for the quiet voice of God. Suddenly, news! The surgeon wanted to see me. I went to a secluded room to wait. There, on the table, sat two tissue boxes, conspicuously available. They weren’t for the sniffles. They were for cold, hard phrases like I heard when my brother died—“brain dead” and “nothing we can do.”

What does one do when we are confronted by the prospects of potential disaster or very real personal loss? That’s what David was dealing with when he penned his song of life-threatening challenge and personal surrender to God in Psalm 31 (please meditate on this linked passage above). There are times when we, who’ve surrender our hearts to Christ, come to a wall of choice … and we either must surrender all to the Lord … or NOT!

 And often when the circumstances are as Tim G writes above, it’s way hard to stay in surrender mode, isn’t it? But we must do what Peter wrote about to Christians who were being persecuted and martyred in Asia Minor in his day.  We must simply give it over to God, knowing that He’ll never leave nor forsake us [see 1st Peter 5: 7].

My Prayer Today:  Oh, my Lord, … No matter what, I know that You are my God and never out of control.  … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: