Monday, September 28, 2015

September 28, 2015:  Open-handed Giving

Daily Berry Patch Devotions in 2015 - Day 270  

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a video of an anonymous praise chorus, singing… I Surrender All, … expressing the attitude of the heart of a giving/living Christian … the attitude of surrender; … and hear the prayer at the end of the video … that’s my prayer for any here today.


Highlight Passage:   Philippians 2: 25, 29 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK  …  
…  Paul’s open-hand giving and his concern for His fellow Christians
============ 
Highlight Context – Philippians 2: 19-30 [NKJV] … USE THIS LINK  …  
…  Paul shows the loving/giving Spirit for His fellow Christians in Philippi, … even while imprisoned.
============      

Reference Passage #1 - Philippians 2: 3, 4 [NKJV] … 
3 Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. 4 Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. 
… Paul preached it; … then he lived it!!

My Journal for Today:  Today’s Our Daily Bread author, David C McCasland, used the Apostle Paul, writing to his beloved fellow Christians in Philippi, as an example of what should be the Christlike way of giving and sharing [see the highlight passages from Philippians, Chapter 2 linked above].

 Paul, as you know in the context of his letter to the Philippians, was imprisoned in Rome, being attended by friends, one of whom, Epaphroditus, had been sent from Philippi to help Paul; … and to show what he had exhorted to his fellow Christians in Phil. 2: 3-4, Paul was willing to give up two of his attendant friends and send them back to his fellow Christians in Philippi. And that is today’s ODB lesson in Christlike sharing.

 And it raises the question - at least for me, … “Am I really willing to have a Christlike attitude of open-handed giving when I see others in real need, especially brothers and sisters in Christ who might need what I have to give?”

 I pray so!!

My Prayer Today:  Oh, my Lord, … help me to be more like You in giving of myself to others.  … Amen  

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: