Sunday, July 16, 2017

July 16, 2017 … The Roots of Faith

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 197 

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of images and lyrics from the Maranatha Singers singing … Thy Word … poignantly singing of the power of God’s word to allow us to grow in faith and give us strength to stand tall through the storms of life.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Luke 24:44-45 [NLT] … 
44 Then He said, “When I was with you before, I told you that everything written about me in the law of Moses and the prophets and in the Psalms must be fulfilled.” 45 Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures. 
… Jesus shows the disciples after His resurrection the roots of their faith are in God’s word. 
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Luke 24:35-49 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… Post resurrection, Jesus appears to two disciples on the road to Emmaus and reveals His truth is rooted in His living word, the Scriptures.
=============

Reference Passage #1 [NKJV] : … Psalm 119 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK 
… This Psalmist discovered that the very roots of his faith were found in God’s word.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Mart DeHaan, used a botanical word picture to illustrate how our faith in Christ is rooted in His word. The ODB author wrote: The sequoia tree, one of three species of redwoods, is among the world’s largest and most enduring organisms. It can grow to 300 feet in height, weigh over 2.5 million pounds (1.1 million kg), and live for 3,000 years. But the majestic sequoia owes much of its size and longevity to what lies below the surface. A twelve- to fourteen-foot-deep matting of roots, spreading over as much as an acre of earth, firmly grounds its towering height and astonishing weight [see photo]. 
A redwood’s expansive root system, however, is small compared to the national history, religion, and anticipation that undergird the life of Jesus. 

That’s what Jesus brought to light for the two disciples who were walking to Emmaus after the resurrection [see Luke 24:35-49]. Their minds minds eye had been blinded to whom Jesus was by their fear … until Jesus revealed His essence by opening their minds to God’s word. And it’s true that our faith in Christ is, like that of a redwood, rooted deeply; but our roots of faith only run deep when our minds are grounded by God’s truth thru His word.

That’s why years ago, a mentor helped me realize that my faith in Christ would only weather the storms of life if I were deeply rooted in God’s word. And that’s why - EVERY DAY - you find me trying to plant the roots of my faith more deeply into my mind/heart by discovering more of God’s truth from His word. I want my faith to be rooted, like the redwood’s, allowing me to grow tall and to weather the storms of life.

And like the Psalmist discovered and revealed in Psalm 119, the only way to do that is to let my faith grow deeply into the soil of God’s grace by planting myself deeply into His truth.

So, … come back tomorrow; and let’s grow together by getting to know our God more more deeply in His word.

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, … King Jesus, … My faith grows everyday as I root myself in Your word. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: