Wednesday, July 26, 2017

July 26, 2017 … Jesus - Our Lifeguard

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 207 

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of images and lyrics from the group Mercy Him singing their song … Even If … poignantly singing of our need for God to reach down in the overwhelming moments of life to be our Savior.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: 2nd Samuel 22:17 [NLT] … 
17 “He reached down from heaven and rescued me; He drew me out of the deep waters. 
… David, rescued along with God’s people, from their enemies, uses the word picture of being rescued from deep waters of death.
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: 2nd Samuel 22:17-20 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… King David and God’s people are rescued from certain death by their God.
==============

Reference Passage #1 [NKJV] : … Proverbs 3:5-6 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… Solomon, passing along to his son, the wisdom he had gleaned from God, showing that God is our rescuer and guide in life.

Reference Passage #2 [NKJV] : … John 5:24 [NLT] … 
24 “I tell you the truth, those who listen to My message and believe in God who sent Me have eternal life. They will never be condemned for their sins, but they have already passed from death into life. 
… Jesus assures us that all who truly believe in Him as Lord/Savior will be rescued from sure death and brought to life FOREVER.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Kirsten Holmberg, uses an illustration of Jesus as our LIFEGUARD, saving us from death in the deep waters of life and bringing us back to life. The ODB author wrote: I scanned the water intently, on alert for signs of trouble. During my six-hour shifts as a lifeguard, I watched from the side of the pool to ensure the safety of those swimming. Leaving my post, or even becoming lax in my attentiveness, could have grave consequences for those in the pool. If a swimmer was in danger of drowning due to injury or lack of skill, it was my responsibility to pluck them from the water and return them to safety on the pool deck. … [See photo] … 
When we feel overcome by the troubles of life, we can rest in the knowledge that God, our Lifeguard, sees our struggle and, because of His delight in us, watches over and protects us. 

And that’s the truth which King David was trying to relate to believers in the highlight passage, linked above. He, leading God’s people, had been saved from sure death at the hands of the more powerful Philistine army; and he likened it to having been saved from the deep waters of life.

I’ve always liked the word picture of God as the ultimate Lifeguard, … the one who brings us out of the deep waters of death and breathes new life into us; and then He watches over and protects us as we swim upstream in the rivers of life.

He has and He will save me from the deep waters, but as the group Mercy Me sings in the linked song, … “EVEN IF” He doesn’t save me from some deep water peril in life, I still trust that He will revive me in Glory to live with Him forever.

And I know that He watches over all born-again believers today as our LIFEGUARD.

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, … King Jesus, … O LORD, … I know that You’re there, watching over me, as I swim thru the waters of life. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: