Friday, July 07, 2017

July 7, 2017 … Good?! … Really?!

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 188 

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of images and lyrics from Kristian Stanfill leading in worship and singing a contemporary arrangement of the old hymn … In Christ Alone … powerfully singing what should be the reality of our relationship in Christ … HE IS EVERYTHING!!!


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Philippians 3:7-8a [NLT] … 
7 I once thought these things were valuable, but now I consider them worthless because of what Christ has done. 8 Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. 
… All we consider “GOOD” is rubbish, ... save knowing Christ [see photo].
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Philippians 3:1-11 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… The Apostle Paul declares His priorities in His relationship with Christ, urging all Christians to hold the same values.
=============

Reference Passage #1 [NKJV] : … Deuteronomy 6:4-5 [NLT] … 
4 “Listen, O Israel! The Lord is our God, the Lord alone. 5 And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength. …” 
… Truth about the priorities of our life.

Reference Passage #2 [NKJV] : … John 14:21 [NLT] … 
21 Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them.” 
… Knowing the Lord, thru obedience to His word, is all that’s really important.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Karen Wolfe, used a personal illustration to teach on how we generally prioritize the things of this world, when, as Paul described, there is “GOOD” way beyond our human values. The ODB author wrote: As I was growing up in Jamaica, my parents raised my sister and me to be “good people.” In our home, good meant obeying our parents, telling the truth, being successful in school and work, and going to church . . .  at least Easter and Christmas. I imagine this definition of being a good person is familiar to many people, regardless of culture. In fact, the apostle Paul, in Philippians 3, used his culture’s definition of being good to make a greater point. 

And if you’ve joined me to take in the Philippians 3: 1-11 passage, the photo image, the highlight and reference Scriptures, and the linked song today, … what are you feeling?

Personally, I’m recognizing that I hold on far too tightly to STUFF in this world and need to pursue a far deeper relationship with Christ by surrendering more fully to His word, which spells out completely Who His is and what’s really important.

That’s why I’m here this morning and will be back here tomorrow trying to know my Lord more deeply and living for Him more intensely.

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, … King Jesus, … Help me know the depth of you, Whom I serve, more intimately day-by-day. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: