Saturday, July 08, 2017

July 8, 2017 … Resting In Him

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 189 

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of images and lyrics from Brian Doerksen singing… Resting Place … poignantly singing of the resting place we need to seek out and hold onto in Christ.


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Exodus 20:8-9 [NLT] … 
9 You have six days each week for your ordinary work, 10 but the seventh day is a Sabbath day of rest dedicated to the Lord your God. … 
… Keeping The Sabbath.
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Exodus 20:8-10, 23:10-13 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… God lays out His law of the Sabbath.
=============

Reference Passage #1 [NKJV] : … John 11:28-30 [NLT] … 28 Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.” 
… Jesus offers Himself as our Sabbath … our resting place.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Amy Boucher Pye, used a personal illustration to teach God’s command of us to observe a “Sabbath” place in our lives The ODB author wrote: One Sunday, I stood by the gurgling stream that wends its way through our North London community, delighting in the beauty it brings to our otherwise built-up area. I felt myself relax as I watched the cascading water and listened to the birds chirping. I paused to give the Lord thanks for how He helps us to find rest for our souls. 

I would think that most, if not all, of those reading with me here know what the biblical concept of “Sabbath” means. I’m not going to go into all the ramifications of “Sabbath” here today. If you’re interested in doing so, HERE IS A GOOD SITE LINK .

However, here today, I want to point out that God saw fit to establish the Sabbath command (see highlight passages) to allow His faithful to have a resting place in Him. Jesus even taught His disciples that they could always find a special resting place in Him [see Matt. 11:28-30].

And all I want to ask of any reader here today is … “Are you taking a designated/devoted time each week, or even each day, to rest in Jesus?” … It’s what Brian Doerksen sings in the linked song; and it’s why I come here to this quiet place every morning; … and I pray you have a Sabbath place/time to rest in Him as well.

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, … King Jesus, … I come here to rest in You. … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: