Monday, July 03, 2017

July 3, 2017 … Letting Go of Self

Berry Patch Devotions in 2017 - Day 184 

Devotional Song:  … GO TO THIS LINK …  Please take the time to take in a YouTube video of images and lyrics from Daniel O’Donnell singing … Here I Am Lord … poignantly singing of our need, as Christians, to give up self to receive the grace of our Savior


=============
Highlight Verse[s]: Joshua 7:12 [NLT] … 
12 That is why the Israelites are running from their enemies in defeat. For now Israel itself has been set apart for destruction. I will not remain with you any longer unless you destroy the things among you that were set apart for destruction. 
… Follow Jesus means taking no shortcuts.
==============
Highlight Passage [context]: Joshua 7:1-12 [NLT] … USE THIS LINK
… Joshua and the Israelites learned that God’s protection only extends as far as their (our) obedience.
=============

Reference Passage #1 [NKJV] : … John 14:21 [NLT] … 
21 Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them.” 
… Jesus will only Manifest Himself in those who show their love for Him by obeying Him.

Reference Passage #2 [NKJV] : … 1st John 1:9 [NLT] … 
9 But if we confess our sins to Him, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from ALL wickedness. 
… John declares what God is willing to do … IF [but only if] … we’re willing to humbly confess our sins.

Reference Passage #3 [NKJV] : … Revelation 3:20 [NLT] … 
20 “Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends. …” 
… Jesus will only fellowship with those who respond to His call to open the doors of our hearts in obedience/response to His call.

My Devotional Journal: Today's ODB author, Xochiti Dixon, used a personal story to illustrate how our surrender of self to the Savior is the only way to maintain a closeness of fellowship with Him so that His Spirit can be manifest in our lives. The ODB author wrote: A writing deadline loomed over me, while the argument I had with my husband earlier that morning swirled through my mind. I stared at the blinking cursor, fingertips resting on the keyboard. He was wrong too, Lord. 
When the computer screen went black, my reflection scowled. My unacknowledged wrongs were doing more than hindering the work before me. They were straining my relationship with my husband and my God. 
I grabbed my cell phone, swallowed my pride, and asked for forgiveness. Savoring the peace of reconciliation when my spouse apologized as well, I thanked God and finished my article on time.

Oh, … oh … how our NATURAL tendency is to hold on to self and unwillingly resist surrender to the Savior. Jesus told His Church (that’s you and me) that He knocks at the door of our hearts every day (see Rev. 3:20); but WE have to be willing to voluntarily surrender our natural desire to control life’s moments/circumstances and surrender to Him, opening the door to our hearts to let Him in (see also John 14:21).

Daniel O’Donnell sings it [linked above], ... but will we do it today?

My Prayer Today: Abba Father, … King Jesus, … As he sings, Lord, … here I am, Lord! … Amen

Blogger Note:  Everyday during this year, my daily devotional blogs are influenced by the reading and study of the online devotional blog entitled Our Daily Bread, distributed online via email by RBC Ministries.  If you GO TO THIS LINK on the date of my blog, you can read/study the ODB blogs; or you can subscribe to the blog via email at that site.

No comments: